Is this mareks

ChirpyKT

Chirping
May 19, 2020
Hello- my poor baby girl, originally she was very broody and now I know it’s not just that… is this Mareks disease? Unstable, won’t eat. I have her B12 and subQ water, what else do I do.

Attachments

• IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 11
Treat for dehydration right away. Dip her beak for half a second in the water letting her swallow and repeat. Electrolytes would be good. You can dissolve a tsp of sugar and the smallest pinch of salt to a cup of water, and give that. Let her rest a bit and repeat. Then offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed fresh made. How old is she? Mareks is a possibility, but she may have not eaten or drunk enough water while she was broody. How long did she sit? Is she pooping?

How long has she been like that?
For about 1 week. I originally thought she was just broodie, I would pick her up everyday to taken her out of coop to walk around, she seemed to be walking ok. She would lift one foot weird, but not like yesterday. I thought she may be dehydrated, or weak due to lack of food, now she’s not eating. She does scoot backwards, but unstable. Legs completely splayed out

That makes me think it isn’t botulism. Botulism happens rapidly. IF it is botulism, she should recover, typically any birds that survive the first 48 hours will live. Eggcessive had a good point about her maybe not eating and drinking enough because of broodiness.

Treat for dehydration right away. Dip her beak for half a second in the water letting her swallow and repeat. Electrolytes would be good. You can dissolve a tsp of sugar and the smallest pinch of salt to a cup of water, and give that. Let her rest a bit and repeat. Then offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed fresh made. How old is she? Mareks is a possibility, but she may have not eaten or drunk enough water while she was broody. How long did she sit? Is she pooping?
I have been dipping her beak, broodie for about 3 weeks, long enough to hatch a baby. Again, picking her up daily to move her around. I gave her scramble eggs this am, even trying to force down opening her beak. I can start an IV on her with D5.??!! I gave more B-12. She’s about 3 years old, no mites, she’s is a quiet place inside.

For about 1 week. I originally thought she was just broodie, I would pick her up everyday to taken her out of coop to walk around, she seemed to be walking ok. She would lift one foot weird, but not like yesterday. I thought she may be dehydrated, or weak due to lack of food, now she’s not eating. She does scoot backwards, but unstable. Legs completely splayed out
All other chickens are fine.

Back
Top Bottom