Is this mature Peahen an IB - Better pics added

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
I just got her today, (free) and she looks horrible (wet, poopy and messy feathers) and is now in quarantine... with some healthy feed, electrolytes and a heat lamp. She's been wild, completely free range for at least a year, needless to say she was not at all easy to catch
hmm.png

She has a very obvious yellow marking under each of her eyes... is this normal for older IB Hens? I don't see this yellow at all on my 2 younger IB Hens
idunno.gif
I am new to Peafowl and have no idea if she is a normal looking approximately 5yr old IB Hen, or if she is maybe possibly split to something?

These are horrible, poor quality/bad lighting/wrong angle pics, and I'll try to get better pics if I need to... but hopefully someone can help me out just looking at these 2 pics?
TYIA!

Peahean1.jpg

Peahen2.jpg

ETA:
I was reading thru a peafowl database link and looking thru all the pics I could find, and I see that spaldings have the yellow under the eyes, but I did not see any clear pics demonstrating it... anyone think this new girl (lady) of mine may have a little spalding in her? Right now, other than the yellow above her cheeks/under her eyes and the fact that she has less of a tan chest area she looks very similar to my 6 1/2 month old IB Hens... but it's so hard to really tell cuz she's a mess
hmm.png
I'll try to get some better pics of her asap, at least of her face, neck/throat and chest areas... if she'll let me. I don't want to put her thru any more stress than she's already been thru. I've decided once she eats well for a couple days I'll switch her to pumpkin for a day then start the worming process. I doubt she's been wormed in a lonnnnnng time, if ever
sad.png

A couple better pics, but she's still a mess, I feel bad for her
hmm.png

OlderPeahen.jpg

yellowskin.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any spalding in her. But you are right the pictures don't show her very well. Besides the yellow cheek
spaldings usually are somewhat larger than IB, longer more bundled crest, with longer legs.

I think India blues can show a little yellow in their face sometimes even if they are not spalding. I noticed that sometimes my peahens have a yellow tint to their face normally in the Fall or around Spring time is when it seems to show up.

Thanks for the replies
smile.png
The only IB Peahens I have any upclose and personal experience with are my 2 babies, they are only 6 1/2 months old and don't show any yellow on their face (yet), so it had me wondering if this old girl was maybe split to spalding. As I mentioned, other than the yellow skin she looks pretty much the same as they do, (color wise and body shape). I have no history on her, so I just wanted to be sure of exactly what I have. She was basically just a wild bird running around with other loose poultry and livestock on 20 acres... so she'll be in quarantine for quite a while, 'til I'm positive she's healthy.

Thanks again for the replies! (I have lots to learn, I hate bein' a newb!)

That yellow is very pronounced. If she is a spalding she is a very low % because she doesn't seem to have any other spalding features like being very tall, having a tight crest, or even having a head shaped a little more like a green's head. She looks interesting.

I think I heard that corn in the diet can cause the yellow in the face too? Where there any corn fields in the area?

She is a pretty girl!

yes that is correct corn in there diet can cause yellow in her eyes. but the yellow is normal on indian blue peacocks.

Quote:
No cornfields, but if she did get any poultry feed tossed to her, it more than likely was only scratch or rolled corn. I'll have to watch the corn % in her diet while I'm getting her healthy and see if the yellow on her face fades! Thanks for the tip
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom