Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Piper the goose has a nest going
20230315_122448.jpg

Nope. Never grew anything out here. We had a garden like 6 years ago and it died before we ever got flowers
I try so hard not to be negative, but sometimes the hard truth just happens to be negative. Corn difficulty falls in the intermediate range for me. It needs a little more attention than some crops to produce well. Here’s a few questions you need to ask yourself.
1- Can you get your soil tested to see what it needs?
2- Can you you break the ground good enough to get the loose soil you need to support a corn stalk?
3- Are you willing to use pesticides? They will find you and will destroy your crop.

Those are just a few things to consider. I’m not trying to be a turd, but more trying give advice based on my own failures. When we moved here 16 years ago, we worked hard and planted a garden with all the awesome veggies we wanted. They came up and bloomed so beautifully and that was it. The blooms fell off and nothing else happened. Our soil was horrible. That’s why the very first question is about soil testing. Your local county extension service should be able to help you with that.

I try so hard not to be negative, but sometimes the hard truth just happens to be negative. Corn difficulty falls in the intermediate range for me. It needs a little more attention than some crops to produce well. Here’s a few questions you need to ask yourself.
2- Can you you break the ground good enough to get the loose soil you need to support a corn stalk?
3- Are you willing to use pesticides? They will find you and will destroy your crop.

Those are just a few things to consider. I’m not trying to be a turd, but more trying give advice based on my own failures. When we moved here 16 years ago, we worked hard and planted a garden with all the awesome veggies we wanted. They came up and bloomed so beautifully and that was it. The blooms fell off and nothing else happened. Our soil was horrible. That’s why the very first question is about soil testing. Your local county extension service should be able to help you with that.
Ugh. Sounds frustrating.
Why can't we just plunk stuff into the ground and have it grow? 🤣

I was planning to buy soil and do some of the little greenhouses for most things. Honestly, if nothing happens, I'll be a bit bummed, but I mainly am just practicing so that I have an idea of what to do when I move. It's not the end of the world if I don't get anything to grow

I was planning to buy soil and do some of the little greenhouses for most things. Honestly, if nothing happens, I'll be a bit bummed, but I mainly am just practicing so that I have an idea of what to do when I move. It's not the end of the world if I don't get anything to grow
I’m sure someone here will disagree with me, but I don’t see you growing any corn like that. I would love to see you prove me wrong but corn can really piss you off.

The place we moved to in Pa years ago was so fertile the seeds almost grew without being planted. The soil almost begged to have something planted in it.
That was in the Susquehanna Valley.

Back
Top Bottom