Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Seriously, I am pretty sure on the other side of Texas is a different world. When we say Southern that would never come to mind. That is desert people after all.
He is right. Desert rats are not southern. We use "grit" as a pejorative term, not a breakfast item.

The thing is it is just what you get yourself use to. We have had that discussion about milk as well, but it might have been in the other thread. It was the thing about whole milk versus 2% or 1%. I doubt anyone in here drinks anymore milk than me. I have always put away a good 3 gallons or more a week for as long as I can remember. I always drank whole milk. Several years ago I started on 2%. At first it tasted weak, but after 2-3 weeks it is just as good. Then, a few years ago I went to 1% and it was the same way. I have never did the skim, and probably never will. I don't see the point of going any lower. You just have to adapt to it. Our bodies tend to do that if you give it the chance. I mean as long as it is something you like and it is similar in taste. When I drink whole milk now I don't like it as well as the 1%, but it wasn't that way at first. You have to be open to the idea of doing it, though. If you have it in your mind that you will hate something and never give yourself a chance to adapt then you will never know.
I agree it's what you're used to. We drink raw goats milk most of the time. When the lactation starts waning in preparation for the next kidding we freeze the milk so we don't need to be without. However, there are times when we run out and we have to buy milk. We always get the whole milk and if I condition my mind to the fact that it won't be the same as the goats milk it really isn't that bad.
I also use to love pork bacon, but I don't really care for it now. I mean it is okay, but if I were to eat bacon now, which is very rare, I prefer it to be turkey bacon. I got started on it one time and now it is okay. But, I also do not eat many fried foods at all. I used to, but they make me feel lazy and sluggish when I eat them. And, not to mention the mess fried foods make. I think they make a good mess in your bloodstream as well.
I think you have a point here. I don't like pork bacon as much as I used too.
I have lard in my pantry, for sure.
We do too. Some pie crusts are simply better with lard.

I drink 1% lately, occasionally 2%. Skim is disgusting and tastes like water and whole is also disgusting and too thick and weird tasting lol
Do you think you would like raw goats milk. I don't know for sure what the milkfat % is but it's pretty high.
Sometimes I think Ohio is the lost tribe of the south, or at least parts of it.

Becky, I can cook, and I do, and what I do cook I think I do well. I will try my hand at new things. But, I’m not a real cook like you and some of the others in here.
I agree.
Jesus it's not that much 😭

I've only drunk a gallon in a day a few times
Maybe there was a nutritional need your body had and the milk supplied it.

I agree it's what you're used to. We drink raw goats milk most of the time. When the lactation starts waning in preparation for the next kidding we freeze the milk so we don't need to be without. However, there are times when we run out and we have to buy milk. We always get the whole milk and if I condition my mind to the fact that it won't be the same as the goats milk it really isn't that bad.
I’ve toyed with the idea of having a dairy goat before. What’s your experience been with them? I’ve heard people say they are constantly sick and the worst animal to keep, but I’ve also heard people say they never get sick and are fairly easy to care for

I have lard in my pantry, for sure.

I have crisco in my cupboard now. It's an important ingredient in some baking

Man. Lard is in almost all good Mexican food. You still see it in the 10 pound and 5 gallon cans on store shelves here everywhere.

We do too. Some pie crusts are simply better with lard.

I feel like I like a bad person. I really need some lard.

And, I’m ditching the margarine for butter

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom