Thanks! I am hoping one of my hens goes broody so that they do all the work and I don't have to but want a back up plan in case no one does. I have Cochins that I have heard are known to go broody and my SF while she hasn't gone broody I wouldn't be surprised if she does since she seems to like to hang out and sit in the nest box for hours when she lays an egg. LOL
I *need* to see splash cochin babies from your flock... . . . Come on girls!!!

Did it freeze??
Yes, I guess they all did but this one had an imperfection that couldn't handle the pressure. After it warmed up, the cracks weren't even noticeable unless you were looking for them. Very different from when they crack from an external blow. My gals lay at like 3-4am, and I'm not setting my alarm for 4:05 :D

FWIW, USDA says freezing doesn't hurt "shell eggs" (AKA table eggs, AKA breakfast) but toss any with cracks. As you demonstrated with Optimus Prime, for hatching eggs I'd do the opposite. :)

FWIW, USDA says freezing doesn't hurt "shell eggs" (AKA table eggs, AKA breakfast) but toss any with cracks. As you demonstrated with Optimus Prime, for hatching eggs I'd do the opposite. :)
Speaking of Optimus... (S)he is having cuddle time with me. I've been changing leg bands on Baby Prime and the "girl bill" every 4 days to make sure they stay loose enough.
20220207_111827.jpg

Look how gigantic the babies are getting! They had a bathtub swim last night. They are blowing my mind with how fast they are growing... and getting real baby feathers in :hit:love
20220207_103247.gif

On a side note... quick question for you... around what age do you usually notice your ducklings getting their voices? I have noticed in the past day or two... a few of my babies alternate between their baby peeps and an almost-quack... I didn't expect to hear such a thing for a few more weeks??

Last edited:
Today, at 18 weeks and 4 days... our lovely girl, Zoingo, laid her first egg!!! (She is either a Production Blue or Blue Rock, we don't really know).

This is the first egg of our flock, but several others look to be getting close! Zoingo has been squatting for about 2 weeks and pelvic separation has been there for about a week.

Here is the lovely girl having a dust bath and our first little egg! (The white eggs are fake ceramic ones)

View attachment 2824505View attachment 2824507View attachment 2824509
Thats awesome! My first egg was so exciting. Keep us updated!

Speaking of Optimus... (S)he is having cuddle time with me. I've been changing leg bands on Baby Prime and the "girl bill" every 4 days to make sure they stay loose enough.
View attachment 2986422

Look how gigantic the babies are getting! They had a bathtub swim last night. They are blowing my mind with how fast they are growing... and getting real baby feathers in :hit:love
View attachment 2986324

On a side note... quick question for you... around what age do you usually notice your ducklings getting their voices? I have noticed in the past day or two... a few of my babies alternate between their baby peeps and an almost-quack... I didn't expect to hear such a thing for a few more weeks??
oh my!!!!!!!!!! They are just too cute for words!!!!!!!!! Can you tell any of them apart at all (besides the 2 with leg bands)? Look at how much they have grown!

I *need* to see splash cochin babies from your flock... . . . Come on girls!!!
well Ditzy's comb is just starting to grow and barely turning pink and her wattles are just starting to come in. Fajita (my other Cochin that hasn't laid yet) has a bit of a bigger comb and her her wattles are bigger but still about half of what Annabelle's are! I swear they are going to be a year before they lay!!!!

Nothing from Marshmallow or Rosie yet either but their comb and wattles are quite red so I would think they would be soon. I had a dream the other night my daughter went out to collect the eggs (with out me asking which just doesn't happen. LOL) and she came in with 4 eggs and I was so excited and had to go check my camera to figure out who it was that laid the 4th egg. I woke up before I found out though. haahaa!!!!

Today, at 18 weeks and 4 days... our lovely girl, Zoingo, laid her first egg!!! (She is either a Production Blue or Blue Rock, we don't really know).

This is the first egg of our flock, but several others look to be getting close! Zoingo has been squatting for about 2 weeks and pelvic separation has been there for about a week.

Here is the lovely girl having a dust bath and our first little egg! (The white eggs are fake ceramic ones)

View attachment 2824505View attachment 2824507View attachment 2824509
She’s beautiful

so my girls are brats still.

Hummer resumed laying on 1/25. Since then she has laid 9 eggs so not bad. was every other day but had one time that was 2 then a day off. The 6 days was a day off, 2 a day off, 2.. so she seems to be picking up speed at least.

well then Annabelle who was 2 and a day off on 1/29 laid, then had 2 days off (never found an egg or saw her in the box those 2 days) and since then she has laid every other day so went from 4-5 a week down to about 3 a week.... not sure if this will be her new normal or what?? LOL Just funny that it seems once one resumes or picks up another slows down. LOL

Nugget is still buzzing along. She was still 3in a row and a day off, and just laid the last 4 days so seems like maybe she is picking back up.

Now to get my other 4 freeloaders laying since they are almost 10 mo old! (tomorrow actually). And the Cochins still look like they have a bit. they are now 43 weeks and 4 days!!!!!! I NEED Ditzy to lay soon! I really want to hatch some of her eggs out either the end of March or beg of April and wanted her laying a couple mo before..... It may be something that I order new babies and then have those ones a month or 2 behind the others? Not sure.... Or order the other ones to come in later but I also don't want to have to go through another year or waiting for them to lay so would like the beginning of April then if I have to wait for a few freeloaders that is ok but hopefully some will be laying. LOL

Back
Top Bottom