Jackson, GA - Monroe County

frodosdojo

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2024
Hi, I don't have any chickens yet. I'm doing some research first and I can't figure out if I'm even allowed chickens. One of my neighbors, 2 doors down has a coop. I called county zoning and they told me I was zoned residential and only agricultural zones can have chickens. That doesn't sound true. When I lived in Atlanta, they were chickens in regular neighborhoods so I don't get why out here in the country I couldn't have 2 chickens. I have done many google searches and even found in 2018, UGA Extension had classes on backyard chicken raising in my county but not since then.
Does anyone have any insight or can you point me to where to find out for sure ?

Last edited:
I called county zoning and they told me I was zoned residential and only agricultural zones can have chickens. That doesn't sound true.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I would call animal control and ask them.. or consider finding a copy of the zoning regulations to read for yourself.. Some folks in certain offices have their own agendas. ETA: Some folks also makes mistakes.

2 chickens is kinda a terrible # though doable.. 3 would be a preferred minimum. ETA: I guess this also depends on space and other things.

:fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom