Japanese Bantam Thread!

Hi all, I have a dumb question Not dumb at all. oping you can answer. What is the difference between the JB and Serama
hide.gif
? To me they look very similar but I don't have any experience beyond the one JB we have. I'd like to surprise DD with chick's this spring as her birthday falls on Easter. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Serama have Japanese bantam ancestry. They are a newer breed, smaller, a more upright stance, longer legs, a straighter tail-less sickle shaped. The rooster below is mine; a serama that shows too much of his Japanese background. He is not upright and his legs are way short. If you look at images of serama on the net, you will see a big difference between quality serama and Japanese bantams. The second picture is a serama pullet; better quality, but her back is too long and the wings/stance should be more vertical. She weighs less than 10 ounces

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a dumb question [COLOR=FF0000]Not dumb at all.[/COLOR] oping you can answer. What is the difference between the JB and Serama :oops: ? To me they look very similar but I don't have any experience beyond the one JB we have. I'd like to surprise DD with chick's this spring as her birthday falls on Easter. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Serama have Japanese bantam ancestry. They are a newer breed, smaller, a more upright stance, longer legs, a straighter tail-less sickle shaped. The rooster below is mine; a serama that shows too much of his Japanese background. He is not upright and his legs are way short. If you look at images of serama on the net, you will see a big difference between quality serama and Japanese bantams. The second picture is a serama pullet; better quality, but her back is too long and the wings/stance should be more vertical. She weighs less than 10 ounces
Wow, what a handsome boy! Thank you for the very helpful explanation. I can't imagine a chicken smaller than my JB as she is such a little squirt :). Is there much of a difference temperament wise? Our JB is very sweet, loving and friendly with people and flock mates alike but is not afraid to stand her ground when it comes to bullies. Last time there was an altercation she hopped up on a rock and gave a long "speech" and had the entire flocks attention! Reminded me of myself scolding the kids :D

Wow, what a handsome boy! Thank you for the very helpful explanation. I can't imagine a chicken smaller than my JB as she is such a little squirt
smile.png
. Is there much of a difference temperament wise? Our JB is very sweet, loving and friendly with people and flock mates alike but is not afraid to stand her ground when it comes to bullies. Last time there was an altercation she hopped up on a rock and gave a long "speech" and had the entire flocks attention! Reminded me of myself scolding the kids
big_smile.png

It's said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

They look so sweet @nchls school . My Japanese girl was much more flitty and didn't want any human interaction.

But I had a sebright/modern mix that crowed in my hands like that a couple of times!

Back
Top Bottom