Japanese Bantam Thread!

IMG_20170707_125028.jpg
This is the only one I have and I think it a rooster. He is very sweet but don't know what to do with him I guess I need some ladies. What do you think?View attachment 1040985 View attachment 1040986
This is him now
I need a hen or two. He is relatively quiet though.

img_5651_edited.jpg img_5421_edited.jpg
My little Ideal Poultry japs are coming along nicely, especially the two btw boys. They are exceptionally friendly and easy to handle, I can often scoop one up from by my feet and go on a stroll with him through the garden, the house or even to chat with the neighbors. They don't fight, crow, or cause any problems at almost 10 weeks old. And they have the softest feathers of all the birds I've ever owned. :love

IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG
And then there is little Princess Mononoke, with little being the big word. She's tiny, my 4 week old Cochins are almost bigger than her. She's shy, extra short legged and very independent, I've almost never touched her. But her feathers are the most ratty of all my bantams who've been nothing but sleek and shiny. I'm hoping a good molt will bring out her true beauty and show if she is mottled or just black.

They look nice! My guy enjoys to give the occasional crow, and while I can pick him up and flip him on his back and walk around with him, he doesn't exactly enjoy it, he likes to have his space. He seems to like me because he is always at the fence when I walk over, he just needs his personal space. However, my self blue old english game rooster just loves to perch on my shoulder.
If I could, then I would get more japanese bantams.

IMG_1634.JPG

Is this wry tail or is this just because his tail is currently longer than his little tiny body and made of a handful of fine, extra long feathers? Other cockerel has a shorter, thicker stacked tail. Curious if this will be grown out of.

Yes, he is very nice.
He looks so much smaller than mine!(Mine is a year and a half now)
He's just hit the 3 month mark and is TINY, the whole lot is actually much smaller than I thought they'd be. Do they grow much more at this age? He makes up for stature with lots of cuddles however.

If that's your boy in your avatar, oh wow!!!

Have a sweet black pullet the same age whose no bigger than my 6 week old Cochins. She doesn't have the same big, sweet eye as the boys or the wet blanket personality, but she's charming in her own way.
IMG_1576.JPG

That is not my boy in my avatar, but that is generally what he looks like. He is currently molting though so he looks a little different, and he doesn't keep his feathers white, they're yellow except for his new ones.

Your guy will stop growing at a noticeable rate, but you will look back and realize, he's twice the size he is now.

Good job with your. Bantams, they sound like loads of fun.

Back
Top Bottom