Japanese Bantam Thread!

another pic of my btw long legged japs
big_smile.png

dec09chickens185.jpg

Well, I always wondered what happened to the 25% that didn't hatch from the lethal short leg gene. I had some hatch Saturday, so today I opened the two that didn't hatch after checking for movement. One was one I didn't think was far enough along, but had put in the hatcher just in case, because I don't trust my candling yet. Egg number one looked like a normal chick at about day 18, or about the time they were moved into the hatcher. The second one, comparing to embryo development charts, was at about day 14 I think. However, on one side, there was just the tiniest bit of vestigial leg, just a piece of tissue really, where the leg should be. On the other side, I couldn't find a trace of a leg. Anyway, this was just something I always wondered about, and thought I would share.

Here are a couple of pictures from my recent hatch. They are such cuties. HOWEVER please note the long legs on these little ones. They will not be show quality. But their colors were so neat!

10901_japanese_chcik_1.jpg

10901_japanese_chicks.jpg

Black Tailed White Japanese chicks, note they are also long legged! from hatchery stock origionally. If anyone here in Canada has short legged BTW Japanese i would love to buy hatching eggs!, sub in a nice short legged cockeral (and some pullets) if im lucky enough to find eggs and hatch some!

004.jpg

My daughter loves the japanese breed. She has some btw from a hatchery so they are too long legged for show but good color on her roo. I'm looking to get her a good sq trio, but that might be nearly impossible in OK without shipping from somewhere else.
sad.png
oh well, she really loves them and wants to show so I will keep looking to help her. Also at the cloverbud show the judge said her chickens were getting too much sun. I can't enclose them, do you think more shade would help?
Thanks all. really glad to have found this thread!
Tanya

osulops, just get a tarp over their run area if you can't keep them enclosed. The direct sunlight is what is going to do the most damage. If you are really interested in Japanese and don't need them right now! the Japanese National will be in Shawnee I think in December. Great opportunity for learning from some very good breeders, and maybe a line on some show stock. I lucked into a trio of mottled Japanese at the Ohio National last year. If you are in a hurry, pm me your location and maybe I can find someone close enough for you to arrange something. No guarantee.

Quote:
thanks jen! I did not know the japanese national will be in shawnee this year! Sooo exciting. I would like to get at least a pair for caitlin to show now until then. We met a guy at our county spring livestock show a few weeks back who said he might be able to help us, but haven't heard from him. I should probably give him a call.
I really like how gentle and easy to handle this breed is! We don't have a run for the japs yet, but will put one together this spring so they aren't cooped up all the time!
thanks
Tanya

Back
Top Bottom