July 2015 Hatch A Long HAL

The first incubator results weren't super great. 21 eggs. Have 10 chicks on day 23 just starting. About half of the chicks were sticky-coated but no other real problems--I assisted one that took about 24 hours, had a decent hole, and was sticking to the inner egg. I poked through one of the eggs that didn't hatch yet and the chick was dead, fully formed. I think it was malpositioned, but I didn't crack open the other 10. It didn't appear shrink-wrapped (took a pic but was very blurry).

But I have 2 tolbunt Polish, 5 Hedemora, and 3 Isbar chicks. 10/21 chicks isn't a good rate, but maybe there will be a surprise in a day or two. I'm proud of that little bunch though, they seem healthy and active.

The other incubator that was 5 days behind, is on lockdown starting tonight. I candled 5 or 6 and was about certain I could see veins and movement so it gave me hope I might not have as much of a failed hatch as the other set.

Broody hen outside and her 8 eggs are starting day 19 so I hope to see some action there soon too!

Today is day 6 and I couldn't wait to candle so I did. Out of 6 Easter egger eggs 5 have major veins showing and 1 looks like a detached yoke with nothing going on. I will wait to see tho so this is my first time incubating and don't really know what I'm doing lol. So excited!!

I am so excited for everyone! I am in the final hours of incubator. Of the two remaining eggs, one is nearly completely out of its shell and the other has a crack in the shell. (I candled the egg and saw movement. This final group has really thrown me for a loop as they were not due to start hatching before Friday.

Great progress everyone!! Pictures of the fuzzy butts please.....
caf.gif

Since my daughter will be visiting grandparents on day 7 and 8, we candled on day 6. She has taken an early lead in her "hatch off" with her silkie. Of my daughters six eggs, five are looking great with one questionable. The hen has 4 looking good, one questionable, and one I'm almost positive is clear. I'm giving them all til day 10 to be sure.

Since my daughter will be visiting grandparents on day 7 and 8, we candled on day 6. She has taken an early lead in her "hatch off" with her silkie. Of my daughters six eggs, five are looking great with one questionable. The hen has 4 looking good, one questionable, and one I'm almost positive is clear. I'm giving them all til day 10 to be sure.

I have some eggs I'm leaving in even though I'm pretty sure they aren't going to make it. It's tough to tell with darker eggs. So, my question is, when do the weeping or exploding eggs happen? Am I safe to leave them until day 10 or should I get them out now?

I have some eggs I'm leaving in even though I'm pretty sure they aren't going to make it. It's tough to tell with darker eggs. So, my question is, when do the weeping or exploding eggs happen? Am I safe to leave them until day 10 or should I get them out now?

I'm not sure. I'm new to hatching. My first hatch it was obvious by day 10 and I had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom