jumbo coturnix eggs on the way. HELP PLEASE.

tknjk

Songster
12 Years
Nov 28, 2007
Abilene, TX
I have never incubated anything before. I got a little giant still air incubator, and turner.
I just ordered 20+ jumbo coturnix on ebay, and they will be here in a couple days. Tell
me if I have this down right.

1. get the incubator running 24 hr. prior to arrival.
2. let eggs sit in room 24 hours before incubating
3. put eggs in incubator (which direction)
4. incubate 99.5 - 101 deg. for roughly 15 days turning
5. turn off turner for last 3-4 days
6. hopefully hatch eggs on days 18 or so.

please tell me if I got this right. I'm afraid I'm not gonna do something right, or miss a step, and screw up.

You got it! I turn mine for sometimes 14-16 days depending. And usually everyone hatches before day 18. But I always leave my eggs in the bator for 2-4 days after I expect them to hatch so I make sure there are noo slow pokes.
Good luck!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Check. I have a question about that. My incubator is pretty basic. no hygrometer. Do I really need to worry about the level?
Just put water in there, make sure it has water at all times, and leave it be?

take it from me I thought that the higher hum,idity would be better for hatching but I drowned a bunch of my babies. I would get a hydrometer (at least for the last few days)

Get a hydrometer, I have the same incubator and it is never humid enough just using the trays. I had to add sponges and a dish to get the humidity up. If you can't afford one now... hopefully you can in a week or so. I think during the hatch is most important to keep the humidity up. Also get some aquarium tubing so you can add water without lifing the lid during the hatch period. You can get both below $10 at walmart... turn in some aluminum cans or something.. but try to get one so your money you spent on eggs doesnt go to waste.

Good luck! I'll be incubating some Jumbo eggs myself in a few days! I look forward to seeing your updates!

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom