jumbo coturnix eggs on the way. HELP PLEASE.

YAY another future coturnix owner in the making!
wee.gif

Ok well here's what I got so far. I went to the petsmart, and found these little doodads for $8.00 I think they will be alright for now.
1zfh5qb.jpg

I finished framing the doors on my quail cages.
r221hy.jpg

14dh5kw.jpg

2mhua35.jpg

wcg51f.jpg

nl1lrt.jpg

I think I am just about done with everything, a little here and there, and I'll be ready.
I'm just waiting for the eggs now.

NICe quail pen!!!

However i have a question, am i looking at that right? Do your doors open downwards? If so.... I wish you all the bestest luck in the world keeping those buggers from falling out (mine do all the time when I open up the front of my hutch lol)!

If you keep their wings clipped you'll just have to grab them but if you dont have their wings clipped you're gonna have a challenge on your hands. Otherwise that's an AWESOME hutch!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I thought about that, and it is subject to change. In all my brilliant planning I didn't leave enough room for hinges on the side, but I'm tossing some thoughts around as to how to correct it.

I do however have a slight dilema with my incubator. I just picked up my little giant still air incubator, and put water in it, and tirned it on. I bought a thermometer, and it came with one. The one I bought says 120 or so. The one that came with it says around 99. Which one do I believe. I have only had it running for about an hour. I'm gonna give it a little while longer before I go to wallyworld, and buy a good thermometer. here are some pics of the thermometers.

The one I bought
2mz9sw4.jpg

The one that came with it.
28rm9h4.jpg

FWIW the incubator is turned all the way up, and the thermometers are on top of the egg turner.

is it possible that that one you bought at the petstore is actually a "wet bulb" of sorts? I'd trust the one you got with the inc before i'd trust that one that just doesnt seem right unless it's reading wetbulb readings....

I got my hydro meters at walmart for like $8, it tells me humidity and temp digitally and i've used it for motnhs now and i love it! it also has a thing on it that tells you the highest temp since the last time i checked it and the lowest...and i can erase it and check it later for the newer hightest and lowest temp.
smile.png

I also have another temp thing in there (also from walmart that cost a bit more) it has a wireless type thing on it that i can know the temp in teh incubator when im not even near the incubator....i leave the sensor in the incubator and the reading thing with me
smile.png

The thermometer it came with is doo-doo...
smile.png

My pen door opens down like that, too, and I don't have any problems with the quail getting out. I had it so they opened up originally, and that was a mistake. But I can open it just enough to get my arm in there, and that works. I am thinking of splitting my pen into 3 sections like that, though, so I can keep a few smaller groups separated. It's a very nice hutch.
smile.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

The thermometer it came with is doo-doo...
smile.png

My pen door opens down like that, too, and I don't have any problems with the quail getting out. I had it so they opened up originally, and that was a mistake. But I can open it just enough to get my arm in there, and that works. I am thinking of splitting my pen into 3 sections like that, though, so I can keep a few smaller groups separated. It's a very nice hutch.
smile.png

my thermometer that came with my LG is accurate with all my other meters, the only thing i dont like about it is i gotta squint to see where it's at ! LOL!

as for the pen, well if it works for you then mine are just dumb! LOL! but i know they're dumb so that's no suprise
idunno.gif

I am thinking that the round therm. is just quicker than the other, because the incubator therm. is catching up now.
I will go by the one that came with the bator I suppose. One more question. I filled up the resivoirs with water in the
bottom. How long should it take to get to 40% or so humidity at 99 degrees?

Quote:
In LGs it may take a while, and you may need ot also add wet papertowels and such.

You could deffiantly be right about the round one catching the temp quicker. I know my mercury thermometer gets the temp like right away, while the others take a bit to catch up (as many as 10 mins).

So that's a nice thing to have!
smile.png
With it being turned all the way up too it's higly possible it IS 120 in there
smile.png

About the humidity again, with the bottoms filled up you SHOULD be able to get it around 40% with just that but it all depends on how dry it is in your home etc. I'm spoiled i have a cabinet incubator now so it's alot easier fo rme to manage humidity and temps now thanit was for me when i had my LG. I have a feelig you're going to master yours in no time though!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom