Just looked up Rhode Island Reds...

BigRedNZ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Aggressive,Friendly,Flighty,Easily handled,Calm,Noisy is how they were described...

Kinda hard to know.

Anyway, ours are being picked on (they're approx 3months old) by the older ladies. And each night all the roosts have been knocked down and the poor things are lying on the floor being pecked.

So i'm going to build another roost to spread them out a bit so hopefully they can perch and be out of range too.

But I thought the description was classic, they run away scared and squalking. Catch one and it almost purrs and sits calmly in your arms (dead scared maybe)

Aggressive, and Flighty would not be how I would describe RIs. They are an excellent bird for a flock owner. It is a great place to learn about chickens. Best Wishes.

I shouldn't even post as I personally have never had any, My grandfather always said the RIR hen were sweet, but the Rooster were aggressive, Just what I heard??? I have no personal knowledge though.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I have 2 RIR and they are sweet as can be. Very friendly, they are on the high pecking order, then the BO and my BR are on the bottom.

What other breeds do you have?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have owned them for years and like most chickens they can be explained as all of the above its more of a environment issue then a bird issue. I hand handle my birds alot from a young age so there more calm and used to me later in life. I have gotten birds that were not used to that and most often there the ones that are more flighty and aggressive. Thats just my personal experince it can still go either way no matter what you do good luck.

What they didnt mention there are there awesome egg layers.

Aggressive,Friendly,Flighty,Easily handled,Calm,Noisy is how they were described...

We have 3 RIRs and I would agree with Friendly, Easily Handled, Calm and Noisy (somewhat). Fancy Nancy, our alpha hen, can be a bit noisy, but the other 2 aren't at all.​

Since very few folks have true bred, quality RIR it is kind of hard to judge. A bird that is bred from a line closer to the SOP seem much more docile than the "mixed" and/or production versions that get sold as RIR. This is just in my experience. The few we have now are wonderful, calm and not flighty.

I have about a dozen RIRs and they are among the most docile and friendly of their flock. They're also incredibly curious and brave - the first to jump up onto a lap if someone should happen to sit down in close proximity and they're looking for a treat. :0)

I have one, she's VERY noisy! Before she lays an egg she screams bloody murder then gets real quiet when she's done laying it. She doesn't like to be handled or approached, she will approach you. I have never seen her act aggressive towards the other two chickens I have. She's a very good layer, none the less. Lays an egg everyday
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom