Khaki Campbell Cannot Stand, Any Advice Appreciated

ducksndaisies

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2022
Hello all! This is my first post on BYC, and while I would have preferred it to be on a happier note, after two weeks of worrying, I feel I need to seek all the advice I can.

We have a 2.5 year old Khaki Campbell duck who lives with one other Khaki and two Anconas, all females and all the same age. They live outside in a covered coop and a fenced in pen, but are let out for several hours each day in order to swim in our pond and forage along the edge of the woods. We feed them all DuMor layer pellets with brewer's yeast and garlic sprinkled on top during egg season. They have constant access to clean water and we clean the entire coop once a week.

Two weeks ago, one of our Khaki's, Jolene, suddenly could not stand. She was unable to leave the coop in order to reach the food or water. We don't handle our ducks very much, except when doing routine exams, so they are generally skittish. But, while Jolene did seem alert, she was unable to even move away from us. She did attempt to drag herself forward with her wings, but had little success.

Since this behavior began, we have separated her from the rest of the flock and are keeping her indoors where we can monitor her food/water intake. Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Vitamin mix has been added to her water. Her appetite also seems normal, as do her bowel movements. She has clean eyes, a clean bill, and no discharge or blood. Her feet are also free of any marks or scabs. She has also continued to lay and seems comfortable, if stiff when swimming. However, she does not even have the strength to lift herself out of the pond.
IMG_4905.jpeg

(Here she is resting in her special Duckie ICU, where she has fresh water, food, and clean straw changed daily)
IMG_4922.jpeg

(I have been taking her outside to eat green peas and to get sunshine, as well as fresh air. She is alert and talkative, but can only stand for a moment before collapsing)

Last weekend, we took her to an avian vet who performed an x-ray and found no broken bones. She diagnosed it as "general weakness" and suspected that Jolene could have ingested something toxic, but she wasn't sure. She told us to keep her isolated and warm for now and to see how things progress. Since the vet visit, we have hoped to see some improvement, but there has been little to no change.

After scouring the forums, I've noted the repeated instances of niacin deficiency with similar symptoms to Jolene (lameness, lethargy, suddenly not moving) and intend to look into it more. But, my questions are these: Is there anything else people recommend to help a "generally weak" duck? What treatments have proved successful for others? I plan on calling the vet back to get some more insight, but what else should I ask her? What tests may provide some clarity?

Thank you for any/all help you may be able to give. I am in my early 20s and this is my first time nursing a sick animal and so every piece of advice is truly appreciated.

Hello all! This is my first post on BYC, and while I would have preferred it to be on a happier note, after two weeks of worrying, I feel I need to seek all the advice I can.

We have a 2.5 year old Khaki Campbell duck who lives with one other Khaki and two Anconas, all females and all the same age. They live outside in a covered coop and a fenced in pen, but are let out for several hours each day in order to swim in our pond and forage along the edge of the woods. We feed them all DuMor layer pellets with brewer's yeast and garlic sprinkled on top during egg season. They have constant access to clean water and we clean the entire coop once a week.

Two weeks ago, one of our Khaki's, Jolene, suddenly could not stand. She was unable to leave the coop in order to reach the food or water. We don't handle our ducks very much, except when doing routine exams, so they are generally skittish. But, while Jolene did seem alert, she was unable to even move away from us. She did attempt to drag herself forward with her wings, but had little success.

Since this behavior began, we have separated her from the rest of the flock and are keeping her indoors where we can monitor her food/water intake. Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Vitamin mix has been added to her water. Her appetite also seems normal, as do her bowel movements. She has clean eyes, a clean bill, and no discharge or blood. Her feet are also free of any marks or scabs. She has also continued to lay and seems comfortable, if stiff when swimming. However, she does not even have the strength to lift herself out of the pond.
View attachment 3076469
(Here she is resting in her special Duckie ICU, where she has fresh water, food, and clean straw changed daily)
View attachment 3076471
(I have been taking her outside to eat green peas and to get sunshine, as well as fresh air. She is alert and talkative, but can only stand for a moment before collapsing)

Last weekend, we took her to an avian vet who performed an x-ray and found no broken bones. She diagnosed it as "general weakness" and suspected that Jolene could have ingested something toxic, but she wasn't sure. She told us to keep her isolated and warm for now and to see how things progress. Since the vet visit, we have hoped to see some improvement, but there has been little to no change.

After scouring the forums, I've noted the repeated instances of niacin deficiency with similar symptoms to Jolene (lameness, lethargy, suddenly not moving) and intend to look into it more. But, my questions are these: Is there anything else people recommend to help a "generally weak" duck? What treatments have proved successful for others? I plan on calling the vet back to get some more insight, but what else should I ask her? What tests may provide some clarity?

Thank you for any/all help you may be able to give. I am in my early 20s and this is my first time nursing a sick animal and so every piece of advice is truly appreciated.
Although I’m not certain what it could be but I have a duckling that’s been struggling and we are narrowing down our problem
One of the things we are working on is D3 deficiency and that would prevent calcium intake knows as rickets
Similar one day just can’t stand
If it’s niacin then you can get vitamin B complex for cattle 1mil over treats
I’ll message you a link to the different deficiencies and symptoms
Maybe that can help you narrow it down
If it is something toxic I believe you get food grade charcoal and put it in the water to help flush the body
1tsp in a quart of drinking water
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom