Lakeside Egger Thread

FrostRanger

Crowing
Oct 3, 2023
So I got 3 lakeside eggers from Meyer about 2 months ago and saw there wasn't much info on here about them, so I figured I'd share my experiences with the hybrid so far.

Lakeside eggers are a type of easter egger exclusive to Meyer hatchery that are blue or black with white barring. They also have crests, muffs and beards. Per the website they lay blue eggs but mine are nowhere near old enough for me to confirm this.

My 3 lakeside egger pullets are

Basil
IMG_20240427_102237396.jpg

Lavender
IMG_20240427_105903868.jpg

And Chocolate Mint
IMG_20240427_173455821.jpg

All 3 of my lakeside eggers are pullets so I can't speak about the roosters but my ladies have been friendly, active foragers and pretty good fliers. Like most easter eggers, these seem to be pretty docile so I wouldn't put them with more aggressive breeds. I also don't know how much of a "breed" thing this is but Chocolate Mint seems to be a polydactyl so I suppose there's a chance for that
IMG_20240427_102632747.jpg

If anyone else has this hybrid, please share your experiences, particularly if you have any roosters as I personally would rather avoid dealing with roosters if I can avoid it and I'll update this as the chicks get older and eventually lay eggs

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_102632747.jpg
    IMG_20240427_102632747.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 11
OK! Time for some updates! The ladies are 14 1/2 weeks old and are doing very well! Just doing some speculating here (as that's what I like to do with my birds) but I expect my lakeside eggers will be the last to lay judging by comb color and if I had to guess at this point it'll go Basil, Lavender, Chocolate Mint. Time will tell if I'm right (I was 3 for 3 last year though).

Here's Basil
IMG_20240614_075356503.jpg

Lavender
IMG_20240614_075337335.jpg

And Chocolate Mint
IMG_20240614_075817622_BURST001.jpg

(Don't mind the old prefab coop in the background, that's just in there still 'cause they like perching on it, they have a much larger coop off camera)

So I got 3 lakeside eggers from Meyer about 2 months ago and saw there wasn't much info on here about them, so I figured I'd share my experiences with the hybrid so far.

Lakeside eggers are a type of easter egger exclusive to Meyer hatchery that are blue or black with white barring. They also have crests, muffs and beards. Per the website they lay blue eggs but mine are nowhere near old enough for me to confirm this.

My 3 lakeside egger pullets are

Basil
View attachment 3814190

Lavender
View attachment 3814192

And Chocolate Mint
View attachment 3814198

All 3 of my lakeside eggers are pullets so I can't speak about the roosters but my ladies have been friendly, active foragers and pretty good fliers. Like most easter eggers, these seem to be pretty docile so I wouldn't put them with more aggressive breeds. I also don't know how much of a "breed" thing this is but Chocolate Mint seems to be a polydactyl so I suppose there's a chance for that
View attachment 3814211

If anyone else has this hybrid, please share your experiences, particularly if you have any roosters as I personally would rather avoid dealing with roosters if I can avoid it and I'll update this as the chicks get older and eventually lay eggs
Sigh...again wish we had a "❤️" button on here.
Now you got me thinking ..must have 1..…or 3 lol

Thanks for making this post! When we were ordering chicks this past winter I had considered lakeside eggers, but we're limited to 6 hens and went with different breeds/hybrids. I'll be watching this thread to see how these lovely ladies mature.

Thanks for these updates. I've been interested in this hybrid. Keep us updated on when they begin laying and what the eggs look like! You have some beautiful hens. :)
Thx! I think it'll be relatively soonish, The ladies are 16 weeks old, Basil's comb grew (as much as a pea comb can grow lol)and turned red practically overnight last week and Lavender's comb started growing and going red the other day practically within the span of a few hours. Basil is also eating the oyster shells I provided for them. No one is squatting yet, but I doubt it'll be long at this rate.
Thanks for making this post! When we were ordering chicks this past winter I had considered lakeside eggers, but we're limited to 6 hens and went with different breeds/hybrids. I'll be watching this thread to see how these lovely ladies mature.
I shall post some updated pictures later. They are growing into lovely young pullets! All of mine are mild mannered so they'd do best in a flock of other docile breeds. They're in the don't touch me phase rn but they're still friendly. I think they are a very solid choice if you choose to add them to your flock!

Thx! I think it'll be relatively soonish, The ladies are 16 weeks old, Basil's comb grew (as much as a pea comb can grow lol)and turned red practically overnight last week and Lavender's comb started growing and going red the other day practically within the span of a few hours. Basil is also eating the oyster shells I provided for them. No one is squatting yet, but I doubt it'll be long at this rate.

I shall post some updated pictures later. They are growing into lovely young pullets! All of mine are mild mannered so they'd do best in a flock of other docile breeds. They're in the don't touch me phase rn but they're still friendly. I think they are a very solid choice if you choose to add them to your flock!
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing their progress. I wonder how many eggs they will lay per week. I love a good 3-5/week layer because anything less isn't enough for eating, and anything much more is likely to have some reproductive problems after 2+ years (in my experience). I'm looking for more breeds, preferably colored egg-layers, to add to my flock that are in that 3-5 sweet spot. And I love the look of these Lakeside Eggers! A pea comb is also a plus for cold winters!

Back
Top Bottom