Lame Chicken

antney1

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
We have a chicken aprox 1 year old. About a month ago after letting them out to free range we noticed one was having trouble walking, almost looked like it was drunk. Now that she's been in the house she pretty much just lays all day, moves around very little. We have dewromed her, treated her with corrid (after a poop analysis we were told this is what she had) also treated for lice with elector psp. Have read to start chickens on vitamin B which we have, vit B complex 100. We also have vit iu 1000 but read conflicting dosages as well as selenium. The selenium dosage I believe would be 1/8 of a tablet.

After a recent trip to the vet (not an avian vet) we were told she has a hip issue and should start giving her .25ml of childrens acetaminophen mixed with 1 liter or water. Have also read conflicting articles about this as well.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

Thank you

Is she eating and drinking normally? Is she lame or unable to balance? What do her droppings look like? Do you have any pictures of her? A chicken sling chair might be something you could use to get her upright and in front of her food and water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

As long as you put her food in front of her she eats fine. I my have said lame but yes she's unable to balance. Stands up, flaps her wings, falls back over. I did make a wheelchair for her but when we push her she just drags her legs. I've set it low enough so she has to support her weight. She does have feeling and power in them. Droppings look normal, however stool sample says coccidia again. She's been treated for this and hasn't been around other birds. Will get a picture up later this afternoon

Vitamin E dosage for short term (about 2 weeks) neurological problems is 400 IU daily given orally. Human soft gels are easy to find at most stores. I am not a fan of using acetaminophen for chickens. You can give aspirin short term about 3 days. Dosage is a low dose 81 mg tablet daily. Give it with food.

Back
Top Bottom