Late bloomer? and Laying from the roosting bar..? I need some experienced input.

I have 3 RIR’s. One had a tiny comb and pretty sure she started laying later. Now I can barely tell them apart. How many eggs have been ‘launched’ from the roost?
Consistently this last week or two , and these last 3 days one of the others has decided to pay hers nearby. It is not the best place and I do not like that she is encouraging another to start this silliness. There are so many nice places for them. it is maddening and I cannot think of a way to break the pattern... I guess I have to just hope she will grow out of it?? (I'm pretty new to the chicken world, what is an RIR?)

Consistently this last week or two , and these last 3 days one of the others has decided to pay hers nearby. It is not the best place and I do not like that she is encouraging another to start this silliness. There are so many nice places for them. it is maddening and I cannot think of a way to break the pattern... I guess I have to just hope she will grow out of it?? (I'm pretty new to the chicken world, what is an RIR?)
RIR is an abbreviation for Rhode Island Red :)

Are the eggs getting broken?

Are the eggs getting broken?
Some are. most not. It seems the broken are only from the fall. The girls have not been pecking at them. Consistently two on the floor now. One during the dark hours. I can tell when I wake still in the dark and check the camera. the girls are looking at the floor and I know someone has laid...never sure which. By the time I bundle up and go out to them a second egg is also on the ground, I am certain it is deliberately laid there because there is already a lot of action. Today - super early 2 on ground 2 in one small 12"x12" box and one in the other 12x12".... later my littlest girl will lay her tiny egg in the big box that is part of the coop. No human rhyme or reason...have not yet figured out how to think like a chicken! (BTW: became very very cold here in the last few days - and the clock reset has made mornings terribly dark. We are in the north part of CA) Thank you ALL. I have a few more tools in my quiver after just a day of these discussions. I am grateful...though still none-the wiser 😃

Some are. most not. It seems the broken are only from the fall. The girls have not been pecking at them. Consistently two on the floor now. One during the dark hours. I can tell when I wake still in the dark and check the camera. the girls are looking at the floor and I know someone has laid...never sure which. By the time I bundle up and go out to them a second egg is also on the ground, I am certain it is deliberately laid there because there is already a lot of action. Today - super early 2 on ground 2 in one small 12"x12" box and one in the other 12x12".... later my littlest girl will lay her tiny egg in the big box that is part of the coop. No human rhyme or reason...have not yet figured out how to think like a chicken! (BTW: became very very cold here in the last few days - and the clock reset has made mornings terribly dark. We are in the north part of CA) Thank you ALL. I have a few more tools in my quiver after just a day of these discussions. I am grateful...though still none-the wiser 😃
Ok, cause I have hens that sometimes lay on the ground, IDK why they do that though...

Back
Top Bottom