They are Coturnix, though the Italians and pearls I’ve seen all have black markings, and this girls feather markings are buff and blue she has no dark coloration anywhere and her under fluff is all blue View attachment 3238978
Here’s maybe a better example? All her feathers have the same pattern, but some random patches along her back have buff on white, where most of them have some shade of silver on white, her chest has some silver speckles, butnis overall more of that buff/white coloration. Her primary feathers are solid white.
Part of the SSC collection…..silver and gold

Part of the SSC collection…..silver and gold
Is that a thing?! That’s what I would have called her too but I’ve only ever heard of them referred to as SSC collectively 😆 the breeder I got the eggs from thoughtbshe was a snowie so she must have silver genetics, so that makes sense.

Does “silver and gold” contain any dangerous genes that I should be careful who she rooms with? We’re looking to incubate replacement birds from our eggs so if I need to keep her and another dilute apart I’d rather do that than always wonder or guess.

IMG_20220829_110600.jpg
this photo shows the different colours from my hatch a white,a silver grey ,a golden,a speckled and a Tibetan

Is that a thing?! That’s what I would have called her too but I’ve only ever heard of them referred to as SSC collectively 😆 the breeder I got the eggs from thoughtbshe was a snowie so she must have silver genetics, so that makes sense.

Does “silver and gold” contain any dangerous genes that I should be careful who she rooms with? We’re looking to incubate replacement birds from our eggs so if I need to keep her and another dilute apart I’d rather do that than always wonder or guess.
I always called them Italians or golden. Cute that it’s silver and gold.
Reminds me of the song in that Rudolph movie.
I’m not aware of any problems with genetics. But it would be neat to see what feather colors the chicks would have from her eggs.

I always called them Italians or golden. Cute that it’s silver and gold.
Reminds me of the song in that Rudolph movie.
I’m not aware of any problems with genetics. But it would be neat to see what feather colors the chicks would have from her eggs.
Italians and manchurian are their own thing, I believe they have the fawn dilution (but don’t quote me!) so they are cream and brown without any red (like a paler Egyptian) but they keep their dark brown speckles which this fall doesn’t have.

There’s also roux, blue/silver, cinnamon (which makes red eyes 😵‍💫), lavender (looks like blue, but red tones remain), and I’ve seen some OZ Sandy from Confetti Quail which I assume originated in Australia?

This girl actually looks a bit like the Sandy dilute which makes the birds look like a cool khaki color with cream, but I highly doubt that since it seems like a very rare gene in US just yet.

I’m hatching out a bunch of pearls/Italians/Pansy chicks now so I’ll get to play with crossing her with other light birds to see what happens! 🤗 I also wonder what would happen breeding her back to a solid Tibetan or something just to see whether she’s homozygous for her dilutions? 🤔

It looks like a pearl or a snowy to me.
I’ll have some Pearl hatching in a few weeks so I can do a direct comparison (eep!) but the Pearls seem to keep their black speckles so I agree she’s closer to the snowy which is a silver dilute. It’s just that warm tone on her back that throws me, also knowing she’s from a mixed pen so she could have any number of random dilutes in there 😅

View attachment 3239843this photo shows the different colours from my hatch a white,a silver grey ,a golden,a speckled and a Tibetan
View attachment 3239843this photo shows the different colours from my hatch a white,a silver grey ,a golden,a speckled and a Tibetan
Beautiful! I love the look of the goldens! Also the Ropkoff with the rusty heads 😍 I’m going to see how things go with what we’ve got cooking for this year, but I’d love to add those colors down the road! They remind me of those really colorful button quail (are they called king quail?)

Italians and manchurian are their own thing, I believe they have the fawn dilution (but don’t quote me!) so they are cream and brown without any red (like a paler Egyptian) but they keep their dark brown speckles which this fall doesn’t have.

There’s also roux, blue/silver, cinnamon (which makes red eyes 😵‍💫), lavender (looks like blue, but red tones remain), and I’ve seen some OZ Sandy from Confetti Quail which I assume originated in Australia?

This girl actually looks a bit like the Sandy dilute which makes the birds look like a cool khaki color with cream, but I highly doubt that since it seems like a very rare gene in US just yet.

I’m hatching out a bunch of pearls/Italians/Pansy chicks now so I’ll get to play with crossing her with other light birds to see what happens! 🤗 I also wonder what would happen breeding her back to a solid Tibetan or something just to see whether she’s homozygous for her dilutions? 🤔
Share some pictures of any cool looking colors you may have!
I can’t wait to find a bigger house! I will have so much fun breeding my quail and trying to make cool colors!
I haven’t had quail in a year now. I just have 5 dif. bantam chicken breeds.
I will get into larger chickens when I find my new house too.
Thanks for correcting me.

Share some pictures of any cool looking colors you may have!
I can’t wait to find a bigger house! I will have so much fun breeding my quail and trying to make cool colors!
I haven’t had quail in a year now. I just have 5 dif. bantam chicken breeds.
I will get into larger chickens when I find my new house too.
Thanks for correcting me.
I really considered chickens! Especially those REALLY itty bitty ones that have a stance like they’ve got something to prove 🤣— Serema, maybe? But our town is really persnickety about chickens and quail are so much smaller/quieter (and 2 of my neighbors have chickens that make noise plus we already have a loud coonhound!) that I thought they’d be less likely to catch heat.

What kind of chickens do you have?

I really like the giant Brahmas 😍 but my absolute bucket-list dream poultry is to keep peafowl! I don’t think they’re much good for eggs or meat, I just think they’re unbelievably cool.

Back
Top Bottom