Lemon Owlbeard Eggs

Apr 2, 2023
My crew of Owlbeards are laying steadily; incredibly well through the cold! I did a test incubation and all of the eggs were fertilized, so I’ve already loaded up my incubator and have 4 doz+ eggs from the last 7 days. I’ve only really seen pricing at $150/doz (+extras) and $85/ half doz (+ extra). I thought I would put a post up in case anyone is looking. They’re my absolute all-time favorite breed. We call them our ‘minions’ because their personalities are incredible. They are not only beautiful, but the friendliest breed I’ve ever had. If you walk into their coop you are liable to become a human perch- they will just fly right up in your shoulder. Please message me if interested! I have foam shippers for safe delivery :) I’m in Ohio if you are local.
IMG_5375.jpeg
IMG_6716.jpeg
IMG_6542.jpeg
IMG_6533.jpeg

Are your prices including shipping? How much do you charge per egg for local? I’m getting inquires for my Owlbeard hatching eggs and I don’t want to under-charge but I also want to be fair. Could you tell me what you think I should charger per lemon Owlbeard locally? Your flock is gorgeous. I also love my owlbeards. They are so friendly.

Are your prices including shipping? How much do you charge per egg for local? I’m getting inquires for my Owlbeard hatching eggs and I don’t want to under-charge but I also want to be fair. Could you tell me what you think I should charger per lemon Owlbeard locally? Your flock is gorgeous. I also love my owlbeards. They are so friendly.
Oh thank you! You know those are great questions- I truly don’t know. Really. I’ve only seen 2 breeders that have them. I’m sorry I missed this message! The Hatching eggs are the same price as GFF at 15 ea plus $20 shipping. I have 3 little cuties going on 4 weeks old now in the brooder, a dozen littles’ at a week and a half and a full incubator set to hatch Saturday… I definitively do not NEED that many minions (want maybe but need probably not 😂) so I was thinking of offering chicks- though I’m not sure what to charge? I’ve seen $40 and $50 ea for chicks and GFF is $69 ea. I’m NPIP and can ship in case anyone is interested, but I kind of like shipping at 2 weeks in a slightly larger box when they’re a little better prepared to brace the elements with each other and heat packs. I guess if they’re $40 and $50 then it should be somewhere in that range 🤷🏻‍♀️. Your guess is as good as mine.

My crew of Owlbeards are laying steadily; incredibly well through the cold! I did a test incubation and all of the eggs were fertilized, so I’ve already loaded up my incubator and have 4 doz+ eggs from the last 7 days. I’ve only really seen pricing at $150/doz (+extras) and $85/ half doz (+ extra). I thought I would put a post up in case anyone is looking. They’re my absolute all-time favorite breed. We call them our ‘minions’ because their personalities are incredible. They are not only beautiful, but the friendliest breed I’ve ever had. If you walk into their coop you are liable to become a human perch- they will just fly right up in your shoulder. Please message me if interested! I have foam shippers for safe delivery :) I’m in Ohio if you are local.View attachment 3727525View attachment 3727526View attachment 3728220View attachment 3728221

Did your post not include your text? I see the quote but no additional text- unless I’m missing something. Totally possible.
It's not proper to add one's phone number or email address in their posts (it makes it easier for hackers to access someone's account); a moderator will come and remove it if posted.
To privately contact someone (same as you would through text), hover over the member's profile picture/username and click start conversation. Hope this helps!

It's not proper to add one's phone number or email address in their posts (it makes it easier for hackers to access someone's account); a moderator will come and remove it if posted.
To privately contact someone (same as you would through text), hover over the member's profile picture/username and click start conversation. Hope this helps!
So you are thinking someone inadvertently put an email or something in the message? I would not have 😬, for sure! Thanks for the message!

They are beautiful!

A note to anyone considering how to price eggs: Green Feather Farms is notorious for radically overcharging. They get away with it because they import rare stock (costly fees) and they change out the breeds offered after 2-3 years. As more people get the stock, prices naturally lower to something more accessible.
So it's not wrong to try to make back what you put into a breed, or a bit more... But GFF prices are way above that.
For example: the Ayam Cemani market collapsed because high prices drove extreme competition. l remember when GFF was selling Cream Legbars for $30 / chick, now you can get them from a hatchery for a few dollars.
What I'm suggesting is, when you have a breed you love, instead of trying to keep the price point high (which draws the wrong kind of attention), it would be better to aim for a medium price that can stay relatively stable over the course of many years, rather than suffering a boom and bust... And talk to potential buyers about the good quality traits of the breed, about avoiding inbreeding, etc. Just a suggestion.

They are beautiful!

A note to anyone considering how to price eggs: Green Feather Farms is notorious for radically overcharging. They get away with it because they import rare stock (costly fees) and they change out the breeds offered after 2-3 years. As more people get the stock, prices naturally lower to something more accessible.
So it's not wrong to try to make back what you put into a breed, or a bit more... But GFF prices are way above that.
For example: the Ayam Cemani market collapsed because high prices drove extreme competition. l remember when GFF was selling Cream Legbars for $30 / chick, now you can get them from a hatchery for a few dollars.
What I'm suggesting is, when you have a breed you love, instead of trying to keep the price point high (which draws the wrong kind of attention), it would be better to aim for a medium price that can stay relatively stable over the course of many years, rather than suffering a boom and bust... And talk to potential buyers about the good quality traits of the breed, about avoiding inbreeding, etc. Just a suggestion.
Thank you!
Thank you also for the input, very well said. You are correct- I do LOVE them 🥰. I think they’re amazing 😊. I’m not sure that I’m able to amend the initial post at all 😕. Maybe it would have been better to say ‘please reach out if interested to discuss pricing’ rather than just throw out a number that may deter people. I’ll have to certainly figure out what pricing the market will bear. I’m not naive enough to think that I’ll ever get out what I put in 😂. It just doesn’t work like that with chicken math. Thank you for being honest 😊.

Thank you!
Thank you also for the input, very well said. You are correct- I do LOVE them 🥰. I think they’re amazing 😊. I’m not sure that I’m able to amend the initial post at all 😕. Maybe it would have been better to say ‘please reach out if interested to discuss pricing’ rather than just throw out a number that may deter people. I’ll have to certainly figure out what pricing the market will bear. I’m not naive enough to think that I’ll ever get out what I put in 😂. It just doesn’t work like that with chicken math. Thank you for being honest 😊.
I am wanting to get some but not for the Easter Hatchalong. I am testing a new incubator on my crossbred meat chickens before I chance some expensive eggs. I have been entranced with these guys since before GFF imported them. I just have a thing for beards I guess (because I also like the Ameraucana, EE, OE). Oh and I am just waiting for someone to import the English Auracana which also has a crest.

Back
Top Bottom