Long Island Ny Laws On Chickens????

I would definitely like to get in on the fight to allow chickens in Town of Hempstead. I moved to East Meadow a year ago from Smithtown and can't believe you cant have chickens here!! In smithtown we were even allowed to have roosters. I had plans to move to Texas in a couple of years but with ObamaCare, I'm not to keen on leaving my job with the health system I'm with because I have great medical here. Ugh. Let the fight begin!!

I brought our chicken to someone who raises chickens in Sulkivan County. I was appalled at the state of the chickens. If you can't maintain ckean, well fed animaks don't keeo them.

I imagine that changing the ordinance would start with a petition. I haven't looked much into it after the Town Inspector called me. To answer someone's question above, you're correct that the legislation refers specifically to building the coop. The issue I have with that is that most plots in Nassau are barely 100ft wide to being with, so that leaves no room to legally establish the coop.

Secondly, I've considered the garage. So you punch a hole in the side for safe entry and exit...but now doesn't that become the coop itself? Unless you're letting your chickens in and out like a household cat or dog, I don't see much wiggling around the legislation, w/o petitioning to have it changed.

I welcome any locals to partner with me in seeing if we can change it through legal course of action. Inbox me. I can't imagine it's complicated. Just might take a while. I mean, we do pay a ton of taxes here. I'd hope I could have a coop if I deem it desirable, and it's not disrupting my neighbors.

R/
Chad.

Last edited:
Are you still allowed to own chickens and/or roosters in Freeport, LI? I'm thinking of owning a couple. But not sure what is the current rules on it as well if I can have a coop?

Thanks
-A Chicken Newbie

Are you still allowed to own chickens and/or roosters in Freeport, LI? I'm thinking of owning a couple. But not sure what is the current rules on it as well if I can have a coop?

Thanks
-A Chicken Newbie
You are only allowed to keep 2 hens per household as pets.

Live roosters are against the law in the village of Freeport.

That being said, I just bought a legal 2 family in Freeport and I wonder If I am allowed to have 4 hens?

I linked up with a breeder of silkies and showgirls, the plan is to bring home 3 SG's and 3 silkie chicks and I am assuming a few will turn out males and I will have to give them away.

I want them for pets only anyway.

Most important they will be kept in their coop and attached run, too many junkyard cats roaming in Freeport LoL

Besides we have small plots in Freeport, nobody likes their neighbors animals walking in their yard, dogs, cats even chickens!

Good luck and tell me what your plans are!

I live in Massapequa. My neighbor had chickens in the yard. She was informed by code enforcement that she could not keep them outside. She has since brought them inside and they live in her basement.

I actually have 3 Nigerian Dwarf Goats and a pig. I am in the process of trying to get permits for them, as I am intending to use them as therapy animals. Town of Oyster Bay is notorious for denying everything. Definitely not fair considering the taxes we pay.

I found this, did they change it?

Added 8-28-1967; amended 4-17-1978 by L.L. No. 9-1978]
A.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or other entity within the Village limits to keep, harbor or maintain any live poultry or fowl, including but not limited to chickens, ducks and geese, except that not more than two poultry or fowl may be kept as household pets.

B.

Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection A hereof, it shall be unlawful for any person within the Village limits to keep, harbor or maintain any live rooster.

I guess you can have two hens and say they are pets. You can't control them laying eggs
wink.png

Anyone in Nassau County want to get together to fight the Town of Hempstead (or whatever town you are in) law against raising hens??

Back
Top Bottom