Long Island Ny Laws On Chickens????

I would join that effort. I'm in Syosset and my kids have been asking about raising chickens in the backyard after watching a TV show on it. Chickens are low maintenance and it would be awesome to have fresh eggs.

Does anyone know if that 50' rule applies to the street? I'm in Suffolk county in Sound Beach, and can keep in 50' from neighbor property line, but the spot I have planned is about 20 feet from the side street ( not the front lawn, but the back/side lawn.....
We are on a corner.

Thanks..

I can't find in the codes of Town of Oyster Bay that specifically says you can't have a chicken, fowl, or poultry at a residence. It does mention permits for actual agriculture and poultry.
This is the Site for Town of Oyster Bay Codes. If anyone can help me find something that actually states you can't have a chicken let me know. I'm going for it.

http://ecode360.com/OY1221

actually.. i just spent some time at the oyster bay website. this was updated in may.. so id say its current

"5.5.16Keeping of farm animals. No building, structure or premises shall be erected, altered or used in any residence district for the housing or harboring of pigeons, fowl, swine, goats, horses, rabbits, foxes, mink and bees, except when authorized by special use permit from the Board of Appeals. No accessory building or structure or part thereof used for the housing of such farm animals shall be located less than 50 feet from any lot line"

http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=181730&advquery=fowl&infobase=oyster.nfo&record={1F7029F}&softpage=Browse_Frame_Pg42

maybe there is hope?

Hello! I’m in the town of babylon & currently trying to fight my 100ft code thinking of making a petition would anyone be interested in signing ?

Are you looking for signatures for a petition? I am willing to fight for a change in these laws. Could also get some more signatures

Hello!! I know this forum is old but I am in the same boat as the moment ... did anything change for you ?

I would definitely like to get in on the fight to allow chickens in Town of Hempstead. I moved to East Meadow a year ago from Smithtown and can't believe you cant have chickens here!! In smithtown we were even allowed to have roosters. I had plans to move to Texas in a couple of years but with ObamaCare, I'm not to keen on leaving my job with the health system I'm with because I have great medical here. Ugh. Let the fight begin!!

I am in the town of babylon & in the same boat ! They told me I have to get rid of my chickens by the end of this week I want to make a petition but don’t know where to start

I am in the town of babylon & trying to fight my code I pretty much got dismissed from everyone in the town hall & no one is willing to help. Has anyone filed a petition?

As far as the 50 feet from property line rule goes, I see no reason why a chicken tractor wouldn't be exempt since it isn't a (permanent) "structure." A moveable coup isn't really different than a dog house. Don't see a way around the prohibition of having more than two hens, or even a rooster, though. Unless, of course, if you house them indoors.

Back
Top Bottom