Looking for a source for reasonable quantities of welded wire coated flooring.

Phlighter

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
I have 2 cages I'd like to upgrade with the proper flooring, as well as constructing a couple more. But, I can't see spending $150 for a 50ft roll when I need half or less of that since it's for floor only. By proper flooring I mean 1/2x1 inch welded galvanized coated with either PVC or vinyl. I don't know of any advantage of PVC over vinyl or the opposite. Does anyone know of a source splitting rolls?
quailcoups_cropped2022.png

This worked for me in my chicken brooder floor. I bought 2 rolls so far. I like it and best price anywhere
I don't know anything about chocolate.

Undoubtedly the color was originally brought in by crossing to a blue breed and then selecting back to Australorp type. :)

Black x black will never give blue unless a random mutation happens.

I have 2 cages I'd like to upgrade with the proper flooring, as well as constructing a couple more. But, I can't see spending $150 for a 50ft roll when I need half or less of that since it's for floor only. By proper flooring I mean 1/2x1 inch welded galvanized coated with either PVC or vinyl. I don't know of any advantage of PVC over vinyl or the opposite. Does anyone know of a source splitting rolls?View attachment 3415741

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230225-190136.png
    Screenshot_20230225-190136.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
This worked for me in my chicken brooder floor. I bought 2 rolls so far. I like it and best price anywhere
That's what I have now. It's fine for walls, but, quail tend to have more foot problems with the 1/2x1/2 uncoated. The coating makes it much more foot friendly and easier to clean, plus prolongs the life of the mesh. At least that's what I've come to believe based on research. I haven't had too much trouble yet, but, I can see the deterioration in less than a year.

Oh ok. I wasn't thinking long-term. That's why it works for me in brooder. I only keep chicks in there one month
That's what I have now. It's fine for walls, but, quail tend to have more foot problems with the 1/2x1/2 uncoated. The coating makes it much more foot friendly and easier to clean, plus prolongs the life of the mesh. At least that's what I've come to believe based on research. I haven't had too much trouble yet, but, I can see the deterioration in less than a year.

I have a can of flexseal, but, I don't know how durable it would be in that application, plus, I can't help thinking about the wasted overspray when spraying wire. Maybe the brush on would be better, but, that's still a gamble.

This is what Wynola Ranch uses for the floors of their cages: https://quailcage.com/parts/148-welded-wire-galvanized-pvc-coated.html
I know it's a 100' roll, but, if you're any where near the Dallas, TX area, I'd be willing to share the cost. It says it's 18 gauge. If this is really what they use in their cages, it's not flimsy at all. My feeders and waterers are on the outside of the cage, so the floor doesn't need to bear that weight.

Back
Top Bottom