Looking for ideas on broiler chicken tractors.

OkChickens

Orpingtons Are Us
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Owasso, Oklahoma
I'm going to raise 30-50 broilers. I am wanting a tractor to be roughly 8x12 and be easy to move. I have raised broilers in the past and I am wanting to pasture these. I am thinking about doing the Salatin style tractor.

Any other ideas?

Nate

Last edited:
I'm going to raise 30-50 broilers. I am wanting a tractor to be roughly 8x12 and be easy to move. I have raised broilers in the past and I am wanting to pasture these. I am thinking about doing the Salatin style tractor.

Any other ideas?

Nate

Salatin is the style that I would recommend. I am moving mine with a two wheel dolly, still it is difficult to move uphill. I have come to the decision to catch grass clippings (feed clippings) and park the tractors. consider moving once a week.

my tractors were built using a design on youtube, they have nest boxes at one end and are heavier because of the type of lumber I have laying around. I have had more than one attempted break-in by predators, a dog walked on top of the hardware cloth roof and digging at the edge by a different animal (stopped by the apron fencing) I looked for the youtube link and can't find it.

John

I am planning on moving daily. Salatin style is my plan but just checking to see what is out there.

Nate

Whatever you decide to build, I do recommend the heavy duty brown/silver tarp. The silver side provides deep shade without creating an oven underneath, and the brown side will create warmth in the winter, while still providing weather protection all year. The heavy duty one is a little pricey, but mine has held up for quite a while...over a year.

The thing I read about the tractors by users is that they are problematic when the ground is not very level, and moving tends to strain connection points.
Further, the size you are planning with the number of chickens seems like it will contribute to a lot of damage to each parking spot...the best design I saw was a tractor that moved by a robotic type machine: it just constantly rolled very slowly so the chickens did not destroy the roots of the ground cover plants, but it was so slow no chickens were in danger of being harmed. If I had land, I would set up a pasture rotation from a central coop. Just open a different door each day into a fresh run, allowing each area a recovery period. LGD could patrol outside the runs for predators.

I hope you post your build...I love seeing what people create! Good luck...

Any other ideas?

Nate

My suggestion from experience would be to build 2- 6x14 tractors 5' tall with a man door so you can access the chickens easily. With wheels on all four corners they can be easily moved with 2 people or can be pulled forward by riding lawnmower or 4 wheeler. Each 6x14 will carry 25-30 broilers. Also the 6' width can go through gates and be moved on standard trailers.

I was thinking 8x12 and having 50-60 in them. I am planning on moving them to new grass daily and I can move these on a flatbed trailer or a utility trailer by having them sit on the rails.

Nate

just found this post.. looking to build the right kind of tractor for my broilers as well.. curious which route you ended up taking and if you have pictures of your tractor.

If you are growing Cornishx, they can't manage even a tiny jump up or down without damaging their legs. (Bad experiences here) so plan to have your tractor on the ground, not up on a platform.. We use the cattle panel hoop coops, 8'x10', and drag them around with a rope in the front and a appliance dolly in the rear. Very low tech, as we never mounted it on wheels. There are designs on this site to look at. I agree about the silver tarps, they work best. I double tarp the roof to help insulate the roof. Cornishx won't do well in hot weather; spring or fall only here in southern Michigan. Mary

Back
Top Bottom