Maine

Sorry to hear you don't have birds any more hoppy! I still have the 2 girls I got from you 2 years ago at a TSC swap. Sadly I don't have the roo that came with them. He was re-homed to a lady in Windham.

Evil creatures. But not as bad as rats!
Yes, they are! The ones under my coop are getting bold. I saw one dart under there around 5pm last night. They've gotten wise to my snap traps...springing them every time. I'm actually missing one but that may have been a human who walked away with it. It was sitting on top of the small pen. I can't find it anywhere!

DH had the flock out free-ranging yesterday before I got home from work. He met me in the driveway and said, "Before you say anything, I've been in & out of the garage the whole time. I have both doors open and I'm not playing the radio so I can hear them. And I've got the 22 loaded on the work bench." What could I say?! He said my roo, Ragnar, was a little hesitant to come out. I said "wouldn't you if you were him?" He dealt with the fox or whatever it was face to face or rather tail feathers to snapping jaws. He was very watchful the whole time.

Sorry to hear that... hope it's for the better.

I've been putting my two new pullets outside during the days in my little isolation coop (with the exception of keeping the rooster in there yesterday) with an additional run since they got here a couple of weeks ago. At night I had them in crate in the house but after that first night they were here, I ended up with some respiratory trouble (forgetting that the same thing happened to me last time I had a couple of chicks inside) so I moved them in the crate in the big coop with the rest of the flock at night and they've been doing quite well.

I was thrilled to pieces this morning to see this when I let everyone out and before I could get the little ones into their own little area (please excuse the ruffled feathers...it's so windy today):

Beautiful birds! They look very well cared for.

I came home from 2 days away at a work summit to 3 buckeye chicks in the incubator. Super cute!

moved momma and seven 2 week old chicks back to main BO coop this morning. Momma was also momma of the grown girls and only had to jump 2 for trying to take her babies before all settled down. She was trying to dustbathe with her chicks piling around her
1f609.png
I stayed in for half sn hour to make sure everything was alright. This evening the chicks were running between all the adults and no one cared
1f601.png
Gotta love it!

Scott DeMoranville in Bradford of 4Ds Birds and Bees Farm just posted some pictures of Silkie chicks that he's selling. The FB page is Maine Poultry Connection. He's got some great colors and selling them for $6 but I don't if that's too much of a drive for chicks.:)
Thanks for the info, I have a friend eho wants silkies. I'll pass it on. I put my almost 4 week old babies in the little a-frame coop and run yesterday, they did pretty good, too chilly so far today. I'd like to get them out on the porch with a heat lamp, the ducks too, but I'm worried about predators. My 12 week old EEs are settled into their coop and run, all but two of them will go with the grandkids eventually. The "Sanders" our Red Rangers are four weeks old and are in their run with a heat lamp and appear to be doing well. Meat lambs will be here on Sunday. Got the early spring seeds planted, things are moving along.

Last edited:
I'm so excited and happy- I have one OEGB Crele rocking in the bator! I am lucky to get 4 or 5 eggs per month from my show stock pair. Tried giving some to broodies and either the single bantam egg got smooshed or the pretend broody bug got the newby broodies. Only had 2 to go in the bator when I set these, one quit when just a blastoderm. Although this egg appeared developed upon candling before lockdown there was no movement until this morning. Yay! Fingers crossed for a female so there can be more eggs because the Creles are so beautiful
1f603.png

Picked up a pullet to put her in the coop last night. She made a ruckus. Doesn't like to be picked up. My rooster came out and tried to fight me with his spurs. Being protective of his girls. lol

Back
Top Bottom