Male Pekin Ducks Over Fighting

crumb

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
For some background I have three, two year old male pekins and no females. One of our pekins has been getting badly mauled by another and separating them is not really a perfect option right now. Any advice on what to do? Should I be treating the balding spot of his neck or covering it with something? Should I just let him tough it out naturally until spring is over? The bald spot keeps getting worse every day and he doesn't know how to defend himself, any suggestions would be appreciated.
PXL_20230527_184637073.jpg
PXL_20230527_184622406.jpg

This duck will continue to get brutalized unless you take him out. Why do you say you can't separate? All you need to do is get some type of fencing even plastic poultry fencing [Lowes] and the kind of fence posts that have the point to push into the ground. If you don't he will end up so stressed and injured he may not recover and why put the poor drake through this? Even an X large dog crate would be better than what he is having to endure. Eventually, the skin will be opened and possibly infected.
he is low drake on the totem pole and is not going to fight back.

This duck will continue to get brutalized unless you take him out. Why do you say you can't separate? All you need to do is get some type of fencing even plastic poultry fencing [Lowes] and the kind of fence posts that have the point to push into the ground. If you don't he will end up so stressed and injured he may not recover and why put the poor drake through this? Even an X large dog crate would be better than what he is having to endure. Eventually, the skin will be opened and possibly infected.
he is low drake on the totem pole and is not going to fight back.
Thanks, but as I stated above separating them is not a perfect option atm. in the meantime, any helpful advice on if the balding should be treated/covered in order to prevent further injury?

Last edited:
You can try covering maybe cut a sock and make something that will fit over his head down onto his neck but it’s not going to work very well especially if it stays wet. I can even use dog x pens and scrap pieces of lattice to separate if I need too. This drake is being abused if you’re okay with that then the poor boy would be better off eaten than through this daily.

Back
Top Bottom