Mama Heating Pad Help - New Chick Mama

CharmingBranson

Hatching
Apr 16, 2020
Hi everyone! New chick mama... 😬 These girls are more nerve wracking then raising human babies 😂

I have created a mother heating pad set up. It’s 12 x 24... it’s 1.5 inches high in the back and 3.5 inches in the front. The ground under it is measuring 85-90 degrees depending on the height of the area I’m measuring.
I brought home 3 lavender orpingtons, 1 silkie and 1 sizzle yesterday.

I’ve shown them the water and the food... and when I bring them out from under it, they’re eating and drinking and pooping up a storm. When they’re done, they go back to the heating pad. Theyre happy little things... no frantic chirping but they don’t come out from under it at all on their own. I had it in my garage and was afraid it was too cold for them, so I moved it into my entryway. They are still staying under the mother heating pad even though they’re in a warm house.

I finally caved and turned on a heat lamp in the far corner of the brooder (measuring 90 degrees under the lamp) and they all came out and we’re eating/drinking on their own... but then huddled directly under the lamp and no longer were choosing to use the mother heating pad.

I really don’t want to use the heat lamp... and would prefer they have a more natural sleep cycle. What am I missing?

Easy, turn off the heat lamp - you're overheating them so they won't go back under the heating pad. As long as they know where the food and water is, I let them decide for themselves when they want to come out and eat/drink. Especially since you just got them, they're probably needing the extra rest right now.

Easy, turn off the heat lamp - you're overheating them so they won't go back under the heating pad. As long as they know where the food and water is, I let them decide for themselves when they want to come out and eat/drink. Especially since you just got them, they're probably needing the extra rest right now.

Ok. Thank you. My neighbor was stressing me out telling me I was freezing them to death and that’s why they weren’t coming out, so when I had the heat lamp on warming one corner of the brooder and that’s the only time they came out I thought they might be on to something.

You'll know if they're too cold because they'll be loudly complaining!

They are nice and cozy in there. Mine always spend a lot of time under the heating pad at the beginning - don't worry they'll be out and running around in no time!

Back
Top Bottom