Managing Flock Living Arrangements

Hi Mrs K, thank you for your thoughtful response. Definitely a lot to think about and you’re right, not the solution we wanted but definitely one we needed to consider. After giving it some more thought I think we’ve resigned ourselves to letting go of Atlas our Ameraucana. We’re going to keep our copper Maran for now and see how things settle once Atlas is gone. I have no doubt it’ll reduce tensions in the flock.

As we free range our birds and there are foxes about we’d like to have a rooster for a little extra protection (we watch them also) and to have the option of hatching chicks from him next year maybe (if he behaves himself and lasts that long). We’re also attached to him and want to give him a chance.

We so far seem to have a pretty healthy flock and tbh I’m also nervous about introducing new chick from outside after nearly buying one that had CRD.
Hatching your own is the way to go. I don't know your location but sourcing out some Bcm/Blcm hatching eggs local would be less risky than introducing new stock.
Do your homework here, you want the best quality you can afford....

Of course nothing beats a broody.
20220807_152424.jpg

Hi @Yardmom - thank you for offering a more positive perspective on keeping roosters [deleted “as pets” because I also recognise they’ll never be pets in the usual sense of the word]. It’s actually lovely as the negative stories loom large. We’d love to be able to keep a rooster eventually and do you have the space. We also recognise how important it will be to choose wisely any that will stay.

We rehomed Atlas our Ameraucana this morning, and his new owner was thrilled with plans to hatch some Easter Eggers down the track. So we’re very happy that he will have a pen of ladies all to himself.

We will keep a close eye on Monty, and of course if we see any more signs of aggression over the next week or so, will look at moving him on also. I understand the zero tolerance policy. Definitely want to at least give him the chance though, as there was no doubt a lot of stress building in the run with the two of them competing for all the ladies.

I’ll keep you all posted and again so grateful for this community and all the folks who have so generously offered their time, advice and input.

Last edited:
I have not had to remove a cockeral for bad behavior in several years as temperament seems to have a hereditary element and my old hens keep cockerels in line.

You also have 5 years of experience. The OP does not.

The thing with roosters, is
  • they take experience
  • and the realization that a lot of them will not work out
  • a sharp knife
If you cannot cull roosters, do not get them. Just get chicks that are auto sexed. It is very difficult for people that cannot cull a rooster, cannot give him away and wind up living with a horrible flock.
I’m also nervous about introducing new chick from outside after nearly buying one that had CRD.
Use a reputable hatchery and get day old chicks.

The theory of rooster protection for the flock is valid to a point, but not all roosters are good at being aware of predators. Cockerels under a year of age are not at all, or in best case limited. If you truly want a flock protector, check the boards at your feed store. Keep an eye out for a cockerel that has been raised up in a multigenerational flock, close to a year old and is so darn nice, that people who CAN cull a rooster, did not.

I understand wanting to keep the darling. DO be aware! These are some danger signals that inexperienced people tend to ignore:
  • coming right towards you when you approach the yard.
  • getting too close to you, he should not panic, but move 5-6 feet away from you
  • circling around behind you, they are opportunist, often will attack from behind
  • approaching fast if you bend down, or are carrying something, even if they stop and act like they did mean to attack, the attack is coming, not just today.
  • fluff up and jump up on things to make themselves bigger
  • excessive crowing when you are around
  • stink eye - they are glaring at you
Do not buy into the excuses either:
  • the wrong color - bucket, shoes, clothing
  • I was picking up their hen - truthfully I don't handle my hens. I don't pick them up and pet them, and that might be a big reason the rooster and I get along, they are his hens. If you want to handle the hens as pets, let the rooster go.
  • he only attacked this person, but not these people - (Like who deserves this?)
  • I accidentally scared him
I can understand your wanting to keep him - most of us have been there, where we kept the nightmare way too long, hoping and wishing that it would work. Being amazed how much better we enjoyed the flock, when he was finally gone.

Just be very aware.

Mrs K

This is the closest to what is likely to work. Completely seperate coops and runs is likely to work best rather than trying to extend what you have.

The bad news. You don't have roosters, you have cockerels and young ones at that. Over the next few months they are likely to change from the cuddly nice chaps they are into horrid teenage monsters. They will test you. They will test the hens. They will fight each other. Most of all there is a strong possiblilty that they will challenge any children and those lovely images you've posted will be a past dream.
Do not try to involve young children in chicken keeping if there are teenage males in the flock especially if you are new to chicken keeping.
Also wanted to say thanks for this input @Shadrach and how much I appreciated reading your article “Understanding your Rooster”. What a treasure trove of info!

Hatching your own is the way to go. I don't know your location but sourcing out some Bcm/Blcm hatching eggs local would be less risky than introducing new stock.
Do your homework here, you want the best quality you can afford....

Of course nothing beats a broody.
View attachment 3755088
Thank you and yes, I think that’s the way we’ll end up going in a year or so. Love to hatch some FBCM and maybe also some Olive Eggers and have a supplier in mind that takes bio security really seriously. Interstate mail though so would be a gamble on the eggs…

Thank you and yes, I think that’s the way we’ll end up going in a year or so. Love to hatch some FBCM and maybe also some Olive Eggers and have a supplier in mind that takes bio security really seriously. Interstate mail though so would be a gamble on the eggs…
Your welcome and I hope it all goes great for you. You've got a year or so then to research the BCM's.. 🤣 (laughing because it took me about 4 months before I was obsessed completely with them + chicken math)
A tip... When looking for hatching eggs you want dark eggs of course but you want to make sure the seller is breeding towards SOP (Standard of Perfection). You want both quality stock and dark layers.
Some sellers out there are just breeding for egg color with no regard to faults in their birds.

Hope this helps.

You also have 5 years of experience. The OP does not.

The thing with roosters, is
  • they take experience
  • and the realization that a lot of them will not work out
  • a sharp knife
If you cannot cull roosters, do not get them. Just get chicks that are auto sexed. It is very difficult for people that cannot cull a rooster, cannot give him away and wind up living with a horrible flock.

Use a reputable hatchery and get day old chicks.

The theory of rooster protection for the flock is valid to a point, but not all roosters are good at being aware of predators. Cockerels under a year of age are not at all, or in best case limited. If you truly want a flock protector, check the boards at your feed store. Keep an eye out for a cockerel that has been raised up in a multigenerational flock, close to a year old and is so darn nice, that people who CAN cull a rooster, did not.

I understand wanting to keep the darling. DO be aware! These are some danger signals that inexperienced people tend to ignore:
  • coming right towards you when you approach the yard.
  • getting too close to you, he should not panic, but move 5-6 feet away from you
  • circling around behind you, they are opportunist, often will attack from behind
  • approaching fast if you bend down, or are carrying something, even if they stop and act like they did mean to attack, the attack is coming, not just today.
  • fluff up and jump up on things to make themselves bigger
  • excessive crowing when you are around
  • stink eye - they are glaring at you
Do not buy into the excuses either:
  • the wrong color - bucket, shoes, clothing
  • I was picking up their hen - truthfully I don't handle my hens. I don't pick them up and pet them, and that might be a big reason the rooster and I get along, they are his hens. If you want to handle the hens as pets, let the rooster go.
  • he only attacked this person, but not these people - (Like who deserves this?)
  • I accidentally scared him
I can understand your wanting to keep him - most of us have been there, where we kept the nightmare way too long, hoping and wishing that it would work. Being amazed how much better we enjoyed the flock, when he was finally gone.

Just be very aware.

Mrs K
Thanks again Mrs K,

Really appreciate all your thoughtful input. As I said we’ll be watching him closely and rehome him in a week or so if we still see signs of aggression. I may be inexperienced but I am attentive and have already noticed and learned a lot from watching him with his girls. Part of our choice to give him a chance over the Araucana was watching him with his girls - he’s popular and attentive. He was also very protective on one occasion when the neighbour’s dogs came on the property and gave us all a scare. I’ll also be trying some of the techniques @Shadrach mentioned.

Also, maybe we’re really fortunate where we live but I can’t agree with the comment that: “If you cannot cull roosters, do not get them” - I think it’s important to have a plan for roosters or cockerels that you’re not going to keep but fortunately we’ve not had any problems rehoming the 5 we’ve already said goodbye too. There are quite a few folks around here who will take them especially some of the nicer heritage breeds (not to mention a friend also who has our beloved Paco).

I think your suggestion to raise a Cockeral once our hens are older in a multigenerational flock is a good one. Maybe also with a broody hen to prevent imprinting or over-familiarity as an issue (this could definitely have been an issue with ours who were hand raised right out of the incubator).

Anyway, thanks again and we’ll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom