Managing Flock Living Arrangements

I have 2 separate flocks and split free range each day, only because my Marans run is shaded all day. Once I extend it out past the barn I will free range each flock every other day. I keep each of my roosters with each flock and its been working out so far for going on 3 years.

I would get that Marans boy some BCM ladies... He's a very handsome fella.
I see a very slight halo but that could just be lighting, would love to see more pics of him.

😉 Friendly info... it's never Maran. Always Marans. (Singular and plural)
Thank you! And yes - his name is Monty and he’s beautiful. He was the absolute runt of the litter that no one wanted because he didn’t have feathered feet like the other but look at him now… we think he’s quite the specimen. We love some more cooper Marans :) Do you know what would happen if we bred a black CM rooster with a Blue CM hen? Is one of those genes dominant?

Thank you! And yes - his name is Monty and he’s beautiful. He was the absolute runt of the litter that no one wanted because he didn’t have feathered feet like the other but look at him now… we think he’s quite the specimen. We love some more cooper Marans :) Do you know what would happen if we bred a black CM rooster with a Blue CM hen? Is one of those genes dominant?
You'll get 50% of each color. I'm no genetics expert but that's what I've learned.

Heres what I have for referencing...
1708562907926.png

With that darling child, loving to be involved with the flock, I would let both roosters go. This is a very young flock, and you are inexperienced. An all hen flock is a very good flock to start with. Cockerels raised with flock mates tend to get bigger faster, and sexually mature sooner and very often become bullies with the pullets.

You are in the darling stage of the cockerels, and it is nearly impossible to believe that the friendly inquisitive cockerels are going to be something else. They are NOT LIKE puppies, in which if you are loving to puppies, they love you all their lives. When cockerels lose their fear of you, they have no respect for you and can become quite aggressive.

This forum is full of posts where the darling became the nightmare, in an instant. That probably is not true, but inexperienced people do not pick up on signs of aggression, or they make excuses for roos behavior. And most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack.

Cockerels tend to attack children first, women second and men after that. An aggressive bird has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. Your flock is young, wait a year before keeping a rooster. Your child will be older, will also have more experience. You can plan to hatch out next year. I would not risk scaring that darling face for a bird.

On a side tangent. I am an experienced chicken lady. Last summer, I got two young cockerels to raise up in my multi-generational flock. They seemed to get on ok, and while I never intended on keeping both of them, I just didn't get to getting it done. A neighbor lady asked for one and I gave him to her gladly. Thing is, immediately there was a huge change in my flock. They relaxed, they adored the one I kept. What I am saying, is that I think there is probably more tension in your flock than you are aware of.

Not the plan you want, but you have years to enjoy this hobby and all the extensions to it. No need to do it all the first year. I strongly vote to remove them both.

Mrs K

Hi Mrs K, thank you for your thoughtful response. Definitely a lot to think about and you’re right, not the solution we wanted but definitely one we needed to consider. After giving it some more thought I think we’ve resigned ourselves to letting go of Atlas our Ameraucana. We’re going to keep our copper Maran for now and see how things settle once Atlas is gone. I have no doubt it’ll reduce tensions in the flock.

As we free range our birds and there are foxes about we’d like to have a rooster for a little extra protection (we watch them also) and to have the option of hatching chicks from him next year maybe (if he behaves himself and lasts that long). We’re also attached to him and want to give him a chance.

We so far seem to have a pretty healthy flock and tbh I’m also nervous about introducing new chick from outside after nearly buying one that had CRD. In any case, it’s been helpful hearing from everyone especially about the risks posed to kids and we’ll keep a close eye on Monty, keep our kiddo out of the run, and rehome him if we see any aggression continuing.

Final question just for helping rehome Atlas - does this fella look like a pure Ameraucana? (I know there’s no such thing as absolute but as best as we can tell)… might just help to know if people ask…

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpeg
    IMG_3175.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3174.jpeg
    IMG_3174.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Plenty have chimed in about the dangers of roosters to children, take the advice seriously, but I thought I'd chime in and give the other side. I have two children and have several roosters. 4 with one flock and 5 with another. My children can and do regularly pick the roosters up. They have done this since they were the age of your boy. They are now teens.
Good Roosters learn to respect the dominant roo and can live together. We can walk around our chickens and have no fear of attack. We have hatched all of our current roos here. We have had many other cockerels. Every boy who went at legs, danced around people, or did not respect other roos(that is a detailed concept for another time) was removed before they were a year old. I have not had to remove a cockeral for bad behavior in several years as temperament seems to have a hereditary element and my old hens keep cockerels in line.

@Yardmom brings up good points, BUT as she mentions, earlier on she did remove cockerels or roosters who had bad thoughts, towards either humans or other birds. This is where experience, and developing a 'no tolerance for bad behaviors' comes into the story.
@CluckkyKrista is getting that experience, and advice from more experienced people, right now. And what may work for one flock owner may not be appropriate for another person in different circumstances.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom