March hatch along. My first incubation ever

I also bought the dividers. They go in tomorrow when we put the eggs into lockdown. However I saw on another thread where a lot of people use what looks like that plastic crochet grid material (I’m not crafty, I don’t know what it’s called).
That’s what I used the first time & they figured out how to lean on it and get into the next section.😂 maybe there’s a way to make them stronger but they were too flimsy!

@junior67 i like the teal! I went with plain white…I’m boring like that. Lol

Ooooooook so we’ve got a big time update today.

I saw my first egg rock around on its own!

So tomorrow is lock down so I wanted to give the incubator a good look tonight. I candled them one last time and while I did I noticed the water filling tray had some film floating on the top of the water and that pink mildew in the tray. Thinking quickly I added all the eggs from one incubator into the second incubator so I could clean the first incubator out- I dried it completely and wiped it all out. Then once back up to temp/humidity I switch all the eggs back to the clean incubator, then I cleaned the second one the same way and put the eggs back once it was all done.

I filled the clean incubators with distilled water (which i regret not doing from the get go.) Been using that good ol fashioned city water from the faucet. 🙄

After doing this I will change how I incubate going forward

1. I will pack the 12 egg incubator to the brim stacking eggs etc maybe 14-18 eggs that way when the few undoubtedly quit early or weren’t fertile to begin with I can toss them and finish with 12 viable eggs. Side note the egg turner seemed to work smoothly even with that many eggs, just gotta be very careful handling

2. Definitely using distilled water from the start

3. This one is pretty obvious and I’m sure the majority of people do this but I’ll always do a thorough check on the day before lockdown.

Hatch day is Friday into Saturday and I have to work both days so that sucks, but I’ve got some cameras on them now so we shall see! Just adding some random pics of the issues tonight
how are the rocking babies doing????? I keep hoping I will see my eggs rock but in all my hatches I have never caught it!!!!!!! lockdown was today and I am already going crazy waiting for something to happen! haahaa.

That’s what I used the first time & they figured out how to lean on it and get into the next section.😂 maybe there’s a way to make them stronger but they were too flimsy!

@junior67 i like the teal! I went with plain white…I’m boring like that. Lol
I picked random color in hopes that it'll get here sooner, it'll be a surprise, lol

how are the rocking babies doing????? I keep hoping I will see my eggs rock but in all my hatches I have never caught it!!!!!!! lockdown was today and I am already going crazy waiting for something to happen! haahaa.
I haven’t seen anymore rocking but I’ve been pretty busy the last few days. I kinda told myself that during lock down there wasn’t much for me to do and I’m getting antsy so i try avoid watching it so much. We’re about 50 hours ish out!

I haven’t seen anymore rocking but I’ve been pretty busy the last few days. I kinda told myself that during lock down there wasn’t much for me to do and I’m getting antsy so i try avoid watching it so much. We’re about 50 hours ish out!
I WISH I was busy since I am going crazy!!!!!! But today I work then have a school thing with my daughter so will be much busier today. Tomorrow not so much but really hoping to see some pips and maybe hatch tomorrow. Last year ALL of mine hatched on day 20 (a straggler or two on day 21 but the majority on day 20 even under my broodys), this year they have been arriving on day 21 but eggs from a different place.....

Back
Top Bottom