Treadwayc

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2021
I have 6 ducks (2 females, and 4 males). They are around 6 months, and we just got our first egg. Recently, they’ve been showing signs of aggression which I’ve heard is common during mating season. They have been together since they were a few days old. I’ve noticed they’ve started ganging up on the females when trying to mate. They haven’t injured her, but they pull her feathers and push her head down. Would you recommend separating them? How long do they generally have to stay separated for? If I were to add in more females, how many would I need to balance out my flock so they don’t have to be separated?
Thanks!

A general rule of thumb for is 4-6 females per drake.
While drakes do often get more hormonal and mate more often in the spring time, most of them are happy to mate year-round so separating them short-term doesn't give the females the kind of rest they need.
If getting additional females for the amount of drakes you have isn't going to be an option for you, I would recommend rehoming three of the drakes and get a couple of extra females.
Or if eggs aren't why you have ducks, you could read home the females and just keep the boys.

What breed of ducks are these? I agree with previous posters about your drake to duck ratio being way off. Believe it or not, it's possible for the drakes to drown a duck if they're mating in water or seriously wound the ducks other ways. I'd be very careful to protect those hens and separate them as soon as possible 💜

Okay, thanks. I will be separating until I figure out what I’m going to do. I bought them unsexed. A 6:1 ratio means adding in 22 more females and that’s a lot of ducks haha. I have pekin (m), pekin (f), blue swedish (m), silver swedish (f), 2 rouen (m).

Attachments

• 53158CF4-70F4-44B6-9E7A-CC864906D905.jpeg
    53158CF4-70F4-44B6-9E7A-CC864906D905.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 10
Okay, thanks. I will be separating until I figure out what I’m going to do. I bought them unsexed. A 6:1 ratio means adding in 22 more females and that’s a lot of ducks haha. I have pekin (m), pekin (f), blue swedish (m), silver swedish (f), 2 rouen (m).
Oh my! Your flock is gorgeous! Especially those Swedish 😍😍😍

Wow, nice ducks! The rouens are beautiful, I love how yellow that one drake’s beak is. Your blue swedish is super nice too!

Back
Top Bottom