MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I have 38 cooking for May 10th. I'm not entering for the coop, I'm just here to get advice and encouragement from fellow chicken people. I could give a dossier of a story though. My grandfather (81 years young) was one of the original SF guys in the Army. Way back when SF wasn't even a thing. He is a great man and has help to make sure we have safe life here in the USA. Never have I met someone with so much heart.

I think I shall join in the fun.

I discovered one of my EE hens had laid and was trying to sit in the woods (not so brilliant)... so when I found her nest, I tried to relocate her and the eggs safely to the coop. She proceeded to throw the biggest tantrum in the history of chicken-dom and tore me up in the mean time.. where she acquired the official name of Sybil. She abandoned the eggs, which forced me to fire up the bator for the first time in a couple years.

She had 10 eggs, and I threw in 2 more to make it a an even dozen. I candled twice with 100% developing. Then before lockdown I candled again and have one - maybe two - quitters.

We went into lockdown this afternoon and best I can tell (from her trying to sit in the woods) they could be due as early as Monday? Technically May, so I'm in.

Below are pics of Sybil .. and my awesome roo, J.J. (yes, I'm a Texans fan!)

Happy Hatching!

Broody hens are still sitting, but my eggs are being dwindled down due to toe nails. Looking into ordering hatching eggs or I am headed to the breeder tomorrow as well.

It looks like my turkey hens might start laying eggs again, if so, I will be setting turkey eggs soon as I get a week's worth.

frow.gif

I set my eggs on Tuesday, all cooking away nicely
woot.gif

Can't wait for the first candling
fl.gif
Great! Good luck!

My hen is setting on Silkie eggs they where put under her three and four days ago does it count
Yes, those will be incubating in May.

I can't remember if I said I was joining, but I am! I have lots in the incubator set to hatch May 9th, and I a couple of days ago I added a bunch of my silkie eggs, along withthe first 2 eggs laid by my December hatchery chicks (I call them my teenagers). They were a nice soft green.

With the 10 silkie eggs I set on 4/28, I've had to pull 6 clears. So, I'm having a fertility problem since my silkies went broody. It's funny, I added a rooster - you'd think fertility would increase, with two roosters. From that hatch, I also pulled both cracked eggs I had set, and 2 other beige eggs (not sure which ones they were). I candled Shellee's eggs, I found 6 blood rings, but I haven't actually pulled anything from that incubator just yet.

Good news, today we got 1 green, 2 light pink, and 1 light beige from the teenagers. There are 5 EE , 1 Dominique, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 NH Red, and 1 Black Australorp hens with 1 EE roo. I am not sure who is laying yet. Hopefully they will all start soon. I just want to hatch a few chicks from my EE roo, then I'm getting rid of him. He is WAY too loud. He's super sweet though. I'll set everything they lay as soon as I have some free space in the incubator.

I'm sure I'll be setting more eggs, all through the month of May!

Happy Hatching everyone!
Welcome! I'm glad you decided to join!

I discovered one of my EE hens had laid and was trying to sit in the woods (not so brilliant)... so when I found her nest, I tried to relocate her and the eggs safely to the coop. She proceeded to throw the biggest tantrum in the history of chicken-dom and tore me up in the mean time.. where she acquired the official name of Sybil. She abandoned the eggs, which forced me to fire up the bator for the first time in a couple years.

She had 10 eggs, and I threw in 2 more to make it a an even dozen. I candled twice with 100% developing. Then before lockdown I candled again and have one - maybe two - quitters.

We went into lockdown this afternoon and best I can tell (from her trying to sit in the woods) they could be due as early as Monday? Technically May, so I'm in.

Happy Hatching!

Good Luck!

I have 38 cooking for May 10th. I'm not entering for the coop, I'm just here to get advice and encouragement from fellow chicken people. I could give a dossier of a story though. My grandfather (81 years young) was one of the original SF guys in the Army. Way back when SF wasn't even a thing. He is a great man and has help to make sure we have safe life here in the USA. Never have I met someone with so much heart.
Welcome!

I can't remember if I said I was joining, but I am! I have lots in the incubator set to hatch May 9th, and I a couple of days ago I added a bunch of my silkie eggs, along withthe first 2 eggs laid by my December hatchery chicks (I call them my teenagers). They were a nice soft green.

With the 10 silkie eggs I set on 4/28, I've had to pull 6 clears. So, I'm having a fertility problem since my silkies went broody. It's funny, I added a rooster - you'd think fertility would increase, with two roosters. From that hatch, I also pulled both cracked eggs I had set, and 2 other beige eggs (not sure which ones they were). I candled Shellee's eggs, I found 6 blood rings, but I haven't actually pulled anything from that incubator just yet.

Good news, today we got 1 green, 2 light pink, and 1 light beige from the teenagers. There are 5 EE , 1 Dominique, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 NH Red, and 1 Black Australorp hens with 1 EE roo. I am not sure who is laying yet. Hopefully they will all start soon. I just want to hatch a few chicks from my EE roo, then I'm getting rid of him. He is WAY too loud. He's super sweet though. I'll set everything they lay as soon as I have some free space in the incubator.

Happy Hatching everyone!
Yayyy

Happy Hatching!

Oooohhh! Can't wait to see their babies!

frow.gif

I set my eggs on Tuesday, all cooking away nicely
woot.gif

Can't wait for the first candling
fl.gif
fl.gif

York !!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
How are you feeling?

oops, i thought the rules said you have to be hatching anytime this YEAR. i didn't realize it said in MAY. I might be hatching sometime this year from my own silkie but don't know if in May. do i have to drop out of this thread?
hmm.png
I will if you say so,
tongue.png
SET ALL EGGS!!! yes set with us!!!

Quote: see same thing!! bunch of addicts gathering!! NY!!!! interesting!! I am in PA btw lol

My hen is setting on Silkie eggs they where put under her three and four days ago does it count
YES welcome CH

Happy Hatching everyone!
WElcome Kathy! you know, perhaps they are just working out the snags on who is the buffest for the girls

oh !!! you must get some stories together of him!!! I would love to hear about his days! So glad your here!!! Welcome over!! and PLEASE join the contests too! Why wouldnt you! have at them!
hugs.gif

Happy Hatching!

love
Lovely!! She just wanted you to get the hatching bug didnt she!! lol Welcome over!!

Broody hens are still sitting, but my eggs are being dwindled down due to toe nails. Looking into ordering hatching eggs or I am headed to the breeder tomorrow as well.
Sweet!! Welcome!! toe nails?
hmm.png
What are you going to hatch?

It looks like my turkey hens might start laying eggs again, if so, I will be setting turkey eggs soon as I get a week's worth.
sweet!!! Welcome over!! how many is a weeks worth? I tread lightly on that one, one time someone said 102 lol

Back
Top Bottom