MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I have 5 kids ranging from 15 down to 7 and they all are involved in our "homestead " or "self sufficient " life style. Tomorrow as we know today is not a promise so they need to know how to feed their families.

I think that is just great!
hugs.gif

anecdotally... I know of someone who taught their 4 year old that chicken nuggets come from baby chicks. and that hamburgers are from baby cows. which sent her into hysterics, and she's now a vegetarian!
lau.gif

when he is old enough I plan to teach him about the circle of life, giving animals the respect they deserve since we raise all our own meat (chicken, beef, pork, turkey). but certainly NOT to present it in the way that individual did - scare tactics.

Last edited:
I think that is just great! :hugs

anecdotally... I know of someone who taught their 4 year old that chicken nuggets come from baby chicks. and that hamburgers are from baby cows. which sent her into hysterics, and she's now a vegetarian! :lau

when he is old enough I plan to teach him about the circle of life, giving meat the respect it deserves since we raise all our own meat (chicken, beef, pork, turkey). but certainly NOT to present it in the way that individual did - scare tactics.
some folks are odd for sure. We aren't as large as raising beef or pork yet but our kids have a respect for animal's most kids laugh at.

Today is day 16 and I have removed 18 eggs at this point from the incubator. 7 were duds and 11 were quitters. That leaves me 23 as of now. That's just over 1/2 so if 1/2 of the 23 hatch healthy I'm going to be super excited! !! I have learned a ton from all of you in this thread. Next batch will go into the bator on May 29th, the day after chickenstock, so I can "cook" all my new breeds.

My rock that I helped out is not looking good at all. The yolk sac is still there, and so is the umbilical cord. I swish I wouldn't have helped it, but I think it would have been dead by morning if I didn't. Either way I don't think it is going to make it, and I don't want it to suffer.

My rock that I helped out is not looking good at all. The yolk sac is still there, and so is the umbilical cord. I swish I wouldn't have helped it, but I think it would have been dead by morning if I didn't. Either way I don't think it is going to make it, and I don't want it to suffer.

Give life a chance. You never know. I feared for one of my last hatch that was the same way. I set it on a damp paper towel in a cup and within a day it was indistinguishable from the others.

woot.gif

For whom?
You!

LOL
I was going to add it but my daughter got sick and next thing I knew I had babies.
LOL! Doesn't life just work like that?

Its amazing how young they can pick stuff up.

Duckling will get to see the chicks and ducklings hatch next week thanks to the new incubator. Or not. The new incubator is not as awesome as I hoped. Might not get anything.
he loves the chickens, and is scared of the turkeys. we have one super sweet, friendly hen who is a Salmon Faverolles. she allows him to carry and pet her, it's the cutest thing
love.gif
I have pictures (lots and lots and lots of pictures!) of Duckling with chicks in the brooder, on the bed, on her head and outside. Ducklings in her crib, and outside. I also have a few pictures of the day I caught a fly away hen. I had Duckling in the coop, and said, "Here! Take her." Duckling (about 18-months-old) turned around with her arms out. She was too shocked to react when I put the chicken in her arms!
gig.gif
When I told her she could put it down, she gently lowered the hen to the ground. The hen never fussed!

Back
Top Bottom