MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I know there are a lot of people hatching ducks (Yippie); I too have 24 more due in 3 weeks. BUT, I have a question about a 10 day duckling I was hoping someone who had ducks could help me. (I thought this might be good to try here in case anyone else has seen this; I did post in The Duck Thread too). I have an actual UGLY DUCKLING. (the one on the left) This duckling is 10 days old. She is the one that had the cord wrapped around her tightly when she hatched. Were the cord was there were no "feathers". And now, 10 days later, she REALLY has no feathers/down/fuzz/covering. She is almost bald below her neck. I am keeping her warm and she doesn't go swimming. She is a little "wet" in these photos because she is still a duck and acts like a duck; she managed to sneak past us. She is eating and drinking normal. The other duckling ars not picking on her; they are actually all very docile and bonded. Is this normal? Has anyone seen this with other ducks. The other ducks have thick fluff and are not losing it or looking this turkey like when wet.. We are going to wait and see if she eventually feathers out like normal during the next 6 weeks. I just wanted to see if there was anything special I could do for her. Any thoughts?
She looks a bit like my sticky ducklings do. I have found letting them get wet helps the fluff a bit. I just make sure they stay warn enough.

I candled eggs on Tuesday night and removed many clears and quitters. I noticed that the 10 Brown Leghorn eggs looked like they were more developed that the others. Sue took them from a broody hen, so we knew they had started to develop, but we weren't for sure how long she had been sitting & broody may have still been adding other hens eggs to her nest.
As Bill & I were tucking in chickens & chicks last night, I finally got to witness the chick crow- Bill saw & heard him do it at 3 weeks old, but I never did. That finally got our 4 mo old BCM roo going, and now he's crowing too!
So, I went to check on the bator as it was beeping due to low humidity. I lifted the lid to find 2 fluffy Brown Leghorns staring at me! Yikes! We quickly unplugged the turner as it began to tilt with one little guy's head between the rails- just in time! Candled all eggs quickly, moved CLBs, OEs and a few less developed eggs to another bator which was already going and had just enough room.
So, surprise, we have BLHs! There were 7 out this morning and the others are pipped! Pics when I get home tonight! Shortest incubation ever- thanks to the broody!

WOOOHOOOO!!!

wee.gif

Nice save!!!

[COLOR=000000]LAST CALL FOR DONATIONS!! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Mike will be listing them SOON!![/COLOR]​

[COLOR=FF0000]WE NEED YOUR[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=FF0000]PRIZE DONATIONS!!!![/COLOR]​

[COLOR=0000FF]please PM @mlm Mike [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]with your donations![/COLOR]

No item too small!

Hatching Egg Donations,

Poultry themed items:

[COLOR=FF0000]new/used in good shape,[/COLOR]

BYC GFM's,

Amazon Gift Cert,

BYC Certs,

[COLOR=FF0000]ANY TYPE OF GIFT CERTIFICATES, [/COLOR]​

[COLOR=FF0000]THESE COST LITTLE TO MAIL TO THE WINNER! [/COLOR]​

all great items to donate! What some of us do is purchase an item from Amazon and send it directly to the winner, just make sure they have plenty of the item in stock, example chicken rooster fowl mugs are always cool!

hahaha.gif
I can donate 2 hen saddles :)

Two Langshan eggs hatched by our broody (Ruby Begonia). First one looks as I expected it would- black with feathered feet.
The second also has feathered feet, but it's not black (as advertised, lol), so would this one be considered blue, or do I need to wait until it grows a bit to determine the color?

Either way, I'm loving both of them already!

My peafowl eggs came in :weee They all made it! Need to check their air cells still but they're resting at the moment, I'll be popping them into the incubator tomorrow. So I guess that means if there's a June hatch-a-long I'll be in that one too, lol.

Back
Top Bottom