MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Quote: Ok, now that's just funny...and ironic!!
gig.gif

my silly Crested Sapphire Pullet 4 weeks old I think

Awwwww

lol Liz!!!

This is 2 month old serama I was TRYING to hold in my hand but she kept flyin away

Here are some serama pics @granny hatchet as you can see they are smaller than they appear in images without something showing size lol
they are two months old

Finally took a minute to snatch a few out of the brooder, the lady never came for them Wed NO SHOWS ANNOY ME!!!
but I think HarmonyAnn has her eye on a few of them for keeps ughhhh

OMG!!!!
droolin.gif

If I was closer...(or even in the same country...
gig.gif
), I would just drive to you and buy all of them. Or at least the ones the no show lady was gonna take.

I'm SURE they'd get along with my OEGBs...OR just get in huge fights, I don't know...
idunno.gif
lau.gif
I don't know what it is about the little birds...can't. get. enough. of. them.
SO personable yet mine will travel in packs and kick all the big birds butts if they even try bossing the little guys around.
love.gif

Yet they serve no purpose other than to be cute. my numbers keep rising.
(Still can't get enough.)

th.gif

My last photo is of my one broody sitting on the good guinea eggs. (switching them out today)
Pretty boring stuff....

Ok, now that's just funny...and ironic!!
gig.gif

Awwwww

OMG!!!!
droolin.gif

gig.gif
), I would just drive to you and buy all of them. Or at least the ones the no show lady was gonna take.

I'm SURE they'd get along with my OEGBs...OR just get in huge fights, I don't know...
idunno.gif
lau.gif
SO personable yet mine will travel in packs and kick all the big birds butts if they even try bossing the little guys around.
love.gif

th.gif

My last photo is of my one broody sitting on the good guinea eggs. (switching them out today)
Pretty boring stuff....

But your broody sure is pretty!

Quote: That is totally cute...agreed! Such a good chicky just sitting there.

Quote: I have tried the small bands for horse hair when they are first born, but yes...like the zip ties better.

Have you tried anything on the base of the wing once they're a bit older? That's what I was thinking with elastics in the pictures.
IF I can find the proper size, I'll try it. I have an inkling that it may be irritating to the bird. But my girls are always all over my feet so it'd be easy to take off again.

@Sally Sunshine

I meant to answer this yesterday. I use "Raidex" livestock marking spray on my chickens.
We've used it for years for the cattle and sheep, and the numbers would stay on the sheep's sides for 2 breeding heats to track breedings.
The hog barn I worked at also used it on the hogs on the skin. It's low odor and I can use it in the coop with my allergies and such.
It's also available in stores in my area. I've been using it a lot lately and have quite a few colored chickens now...
gig.gif

I tried a florescent orange livestock paint in another brand and WHOA! Couldn't use it inside at all.
sickbyc.gif

I marked Louise's OEGB chicks before I put them in the brooder so they look pink.
I also colored Louise so I could tell at a glance if it was her or her exact replica sister who was thinking of setting.
Her paint's still vivid. She's chocolate, no blue or green.

I was a little behind on changing the coop so a couple sneezed a couple times but nothing major I noticed and I think we may be having minor mite troubles or knats (sp?) Because they seem to be scratching semi a lot lately because I stopped putting DE in the coop and run a couple weeks ago (never had any issues when I was using it) but anyways, I let them free range yesterday while I fully cleaned out the entire coop. I saw lots of knats then. But took everything out, sprayed the whole coop (floor, walls, outside walls, roof, roosts, everything) and the run down with Poultry Protector then put a bit of DE and Sweet PDZ down in the coop floor and DE in the nest boxes then a really thick layer of pine shavings over all of that, used the entire bag between the nest boxes and coop floor. Then I sprayed them with Poultry Protector too. Some let me do the whole thing and others fought it more so that I wasn't able to get under wings really. But so far today they seem much much better and happier. But anyways, I guess my question, since I saw mention of antibiotics on a different thread, is if you think antibiotics are necessary for minor sneezing or if now that the coop is cleaned out any issues should rectifiy themselves???? Next on the list is treating for possible scaly leg mites. Not entirely sure if they have it but I've had a suspicion about one for a little while (okay... a couple months..) and seems to maybe be spreading but I initially thought it was normal chicken legs but so I figure it's better to treat them all just in case. Already bought the Vaseline last week. Just a matter of if they're gonna let me wash their legs off and apply it. Probably not. That should be fun. Thinking of wrapping them tightly but not too tight in a towel so that they can't flap their wings and get free and possibly coming up with some sort of a blindfold so they can't see as from what I've heard from animal shows and such, not being able to see or get free generally calms most other animals down so we'll see if it works on the chickens. And I noticed a couple days ago, Tuesday I think, that one of the chickens also managed to chip her beak somehow. No clue how. So gotta treat that too. Picked up some Vetericyn spray today. Fortunately, she appears to still be able to eat perfectly fine, wven eating treats like a pig still, and it appears to just be a surface layer peeling/chip type thing rather than a really bad issue. But still annoying. Ugh. Lots of issues this week. But I suppose I'm lucky that we have had zero issues the whole time I have had them except losing the one chick at 6 days and one hawk attack when I wasn't looking last month (and even then, everyone made it home and zero injuries except one chicken losing lots of feathers and being terrified). It's just kind of annoying everything happens at once.... Guess that's how it goes thoug . When it rains it pours. Although they all seem healthy so fortunately it's minor issues, if it's even an issue at all, and of course it wouldn't have occurred if I hadn't gotten behind on cleaning but I wasn't even that far behind. Chickens I guess.
I HATE bugs.
sickbyc.gif

Well the broody eggs are gone. Partial development then quit to turn nasty. Ewww! So hopefully the eggs in the incubator will have better results. I need to candle them!
That sucks...sorry to hear the broody eggs didn't turn out.
sad.png

Last edited:

Here is the last chicken pic on my phone. Its a cream legbar hen who is the mother to my current batch of roosters i am using.
She does have a crest, it got a bit chewed on by another rooster.
clap.gif

Last picture I took of my chickens: This is our favorite cockerel, hatched April 7th. Just found a lady who wants him for her hens after I grow him out a bit, so happy!

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

My Cochin bantam has hatched. I only got 3/8. 3 of the eggs were infertile, one of the eggs pipped, but didn't survive, and the last egg was dead in shell.
sorry for the inferts and DIS, glad you have three!

I was a little behind on changing the coop so a couple sneezed a couple times but nothing major I noticed and I think we may be having minor mite troubles or knats (sp?) Because they seem to be scratching semi a lot lately because I stopped putting DE in the coop and run a couple weeks ago (never had any issues when I was using it) but anyways, I let them free range yesterday while I fully cleaned out the entire coop. I saw lots of knats then. But took everything out, sprayed the whole coop (floor, walls, outside walls, roof, roosts, everything) and the run down with Poultry Protector then put a bit of DE and Sweet PDZ down in the coop floor and DE in the nest boxes then a really thick layer of pine shavings over all of that, used the entire bag between the nest boxes and coop floor. Then I sprayed them with Poultry Protector too. Some let me do the whole thing and others fought it more so that I wasn't able to get under wings really. But so far today they seem much much better and happier. But anyways, I guess my question, since I saw mention of antibiotics on a different thread, is if you think antibiotics are necessary for minor sneezing or if now that the coop is cleaned out any issues should rectifiy themselves???? Next on the list is treating for possible scaly leg mites. Not entirely sure if they have it but I've had a suspicion about one for a little while (okay... a couple months..) and seems to maybe be spreading but I initially thought it was normal chicken legs but so I figure it's better to treat them all just in case. Already bought the Vaseline last week. Just a matter of if they're gonna let me wash their legs off and apply it. Probably not. That should be fun. Thinking of wrapping them tightly but not too tight in a towel so that they can't flap their wings and get free and possibly coming up with some sort of a blindfold so they can't see as from what I've heard from animal shows and such, not being able to see or get free generally calms most other animals down so we'll see if it works on the chickens. And I noticed a couple days ago, Tuesday I think, that one of the chickens also managed to chip her beak somehow. No clue how. So gotta treat that too. Picked up some Vetericyn spray today. Fortunately, she appears to still be able to eat perfectly fine, wven eating treats like a pig still, and it appears to just be a surface layer peeling/chip type thing rather than a really bad issue. But still annoying. Ugh. Lots of issues this week. But I suppose I'm lucky that we have had zero issues the whole time I have had them except losing the one chick at 6 days and one hawk attack when I wasn't looking last month (and even then, everyone made it home and zero injuries except one chicken losing lots of feathers and being terrified). It's just kind of annoying everything happens at once.... Guess that's how it goes thoug . When it rains it pours. Although they all seem healthy so fortunately it's minor issues, if it's even an issue at all, and of course it wouldn't have occurred if I hadn't gotten behind on cleaning but I wasn't even that far behind. Chickens I guess.

@casportpony maybe Kat can help

Progress so far: 4/15

I assisted 1 that was partially shrink wrapped, it's alive but not very active and is having difficulty drying fluffy.

2 hatched normally

1 zipping

I couldn't tell if there was any other activity, the hatched chicks moved all the other eggs around! I also moved the incubator and brooder into the spare bedroom. Once the chicks started moving and peeping loudly the cat took a huge, not good interest in them!
fl.gif

Well the broody eggs are gone. Partial development then quit to turn nasty. Ewww! So hopefully the eggs in the incubator will have better results. I need to candle them!
Dang sorry for the broody, good luck with the bator!

Quote: X 2 !!!

Thankyou!!!

[COLOR=4B0082]That is totally cute...agreed! Such a good chicky just sitting there.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I have tried the small bands for horse hair when they are first born, but yes...like the zip ties better.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Have you tried anything on the base of the wing once they're a bit older? That's what I was thinking with elastics in the pictures.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]IF I can find the proper size, I'll try it. I have an inkling that it may be irritating to the bird. But my girls are always all over my feet so it'd be easy to take off again.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]@Sally Sunshine [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I meant to answer this yesterday. I use "Raidex" livestock marking spray on my chickens.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]We've used it for years for the cattle and sheep, and the numbers would stay on the sheep's sides for 2 breeding heats to track breedings.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]The hog barn I worked at also used it on the hogs on the skin. It's low odor and I can use it in the coop with my allergies and such.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]It's also available in stores in my area. I've been using it a lot lately and have quite a few colored chickens now...:gig [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I tried a florescent orange livestock paint in another brand and WHOA! Couldn't use it inside at all.[/COLOR] :sick [COLOR=4B0082]I marked Louise's OEGB chicks before I put them in the brooder so they look pink.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I also colored Louise so I could tell at a glance if it was her or her exact replica sister who was thinking of setting.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Her paint's still vivid. She's chocolate, no blue or green.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I HATE bugs[/COLOR]. :sick [COLOR=4B0082]That sucks...sorry to hear the broody eggs didn't turn out. :( [/COLOR]
Me too!! There were some flies in the run too but that's just a normal summer occurrence. The few gnats on the walls was gross ha
:clap :love
love.gif
:love sorry for the inferts and DIS, glad you have three! @casportpony maybe Kat can help :fl Dang sorry for the broody, good luck with the bator! Thankyou!!!
Thank you!! I hope so!! Also I should note I accidentally used the wrong word. There were little coughs too which is why I wasn't sure. Some have almost sounded a little squeaky or hoarse for a little bit too? So little cough rather than sneezing though there obviously was some sneezing too. But none are acting sick and I would think if it was something needing treating they would be acting sick? So I am hoping with the newly cleaned coop they will recover fine.

Quote:
Awwwww

lol Liz!!!

This is 2 month old serama I was TRYING to hold in my hand but she kept flyin away

Here are some serama pics @granny hatchet as you can see they are smaller than they appear in images without something showing size lol
they are two months old

Finally took a minute to snatch a few out of the brooder, the lady never came for them Wed NO SHOWS ANNOY ME!!!
but I think HarmonyAnn has her eye on a few of them for keeps ughhhh

OMG!!!!
droolin.gif

gig.gif

idunno.gif
lau.gif
love.gif

th.gif

Pretty boring stuff....

they are cute and addicting, you can keep MANY though!! lol
sweet broody!!

The last chicken picture I took was last week I took a pic of some chicks in my henny & roo subscription box for their photo/win a free box contest.
sweet! good luck!

Quote: I have tried the small bands for horse hair when they are first born, but yes...like the zip ties better.

Have you tried anything on the base of the wing once they're a bit older? That's what I was thinking with elastics in the pictures.
IF I can find the proper size, I'll try it. I have an inkling that it may be irritating to the bird. But my girls are always all over my feet so it'd be easy to take off again.

@Sally Sunshine

I meant to answer this yesterday. I use "Raidex" livestock marking spray on my chickens.
We've used it for years for the cattle and sheep, and the numbers would stay on the sheep's sides for 2 breeding heats to track breedings.
The hog barn I worked at also used it on the hogs on the skin. It's low odor and I can use it in the coop with my allergies and such.
It's also available in stores in my area. I've been using it a lot lately and have quite a few colored chickens now...
gig.gif

I tried a florescent orange livestock paint in another brand and WHOA! Couldn't use it inside at all.
sickbyc.gif

I marked Louise's OEGB chicks before I put them in the brooder so they look pink.
I also colored Louise so I could tell at a glance if it was her or her exact replica sister who was thinking of setting.
Her paint's still vivid. She's chocolate, no blue or green.

you know, how simple things can be lmao, whodathunk livestock paint!! DOH!!!!

One brahma (mix? )is out! 4 others have pips.
yesss.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom