MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Oh dear!! Did you put it in a baggie first? Does it still work?
-Banti
hide.gif
I had the baggie on the table, right next to the ice water, and then totally spaced putting the transmitter IN the baggie and just dropped it in the water. Yeah, I really did that. I was being so careful to make sure that I had the correct amount of ice and the correct ratio of ice to water, and that I'd stirred it for the correct amount of time before putting the thermometer in - yeah, well.....I ain't always the brightest crayon in the box, ya know? And no, it no longer works. Well, that's not exactly true - it works, but I no longer trust it in my incubator. I only trust it enough to tell me if I should wear a long sleeved shirt outside or can get by with a short sleeved shirt. BTW, this is a total secret. I don't want anyone else to know I did this, okay?
he.gif

:oops:   I had the baggie on the table, right next to the ice water, and then totally spaced putting the transmitter IN the baggie and just dropped it in the water.  Yeah, I really did that.  I was being so careful to make sure that I had the correct amount of ice and the correct ratio of ice to water, and that I'd stirred it for the correct amount of time before putting the thermometer in - yeah, well.....I ain't always the brightest crayon in the box, ya know?  And no, it no longer works. Well, that's not exactly true - it works, but I no longer trust it in my incubator.  I only trust it enough to tell me if I should wear a long sleeved shirt outside or can get by with a short sleeved shirt.  BTW, this is a total secret.  I don't want anyone else to know I did this, okay?  :he

:hugs

Well, I'm sure I'll do that eventually. That's a bummer it no longer works the best. :/

Hey, we learn by doing, right? :D
-Banti

Well 10 of 10 yellow goldens made it to lockdown and all 10 hatched. 2 With my assistance but they are all doing very well the first 9 have already moved to the brooder last one is drying and will move him as soon as he looks ready.
Congratulations!
wee.gif

Just unplugged the bator, tomorrow I will eggtopsy all the eggs
sad.png
Sorry, the hatch went bad.

Up to 5 so far, all from the mixed eggs. The polish (mix I think?) Hatched. Has a beautiful vaulted skull and a pretty solid white head. Three are identical and one looks chocolaty with a slight hint of blue. 4 of the mixed eggs show no pips, and 2 are pipped and resting.
So far, of the 10 breeder eggs only one has pipped. The rest show nothing.
I've had to open the incubator a couple times as the humidity goes crazy after every hatch. The chick's are already at risk of drowning since the eggs didn't lose enough moisture, 75-80% humidity won't help matters.
Congrats on the ones that hatched. Fingers crossed for the rest.

Just filled muh bators.
woot.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
yesss.gif

Alright, I set 27 chicken eggs to hatch with the turkey egg I set a week ago today, and I candled that one and it shows some veining. The one I set on Wednesday isn't showing much yet, and I finally found the real nest. And so has the dog, who smells like so many bad eggs, having a fight in her bowel as to who stinks worse, the smell from her gas is so bad that it lingers for an hour after she leaves. My nose hairs tingle. I sent her to sleep in the baby's room. I found today's turkey egg, and thought, hey, why not? So now it's a staggered turkey hatch. But the first poult and all the chicks should hatch together. The 27 chicken eggs are a random mix of mostly cream Legbar eggs, and my breeder pens are actually also grow out pens too... So everyone is all together now. So, olive eggers will be forthcoming, along with possible purebreds. I only have two breeds
tongue.png

Still, I am sure a few more birds never hurt.
Good luck with your hatch! Dog gas can be pretty bad.

Quote:
woot.gif

I am impatiently waiting on a few eggs that are going into day 18! I have a few more a few days behind them. My first lone egg was due yesterday or so but it didn't make it. It looked like a lavender, so I am a little sad, but thinking about how many more eggs I get to hatch.

As usual, high humidity is killing me. I may start putting my Silkie eggs in my cabinet incubator where the dual fans help eggs loose moisture. It is full of duck eggs though!

Good luck with the hatch. Sorry the lone egg didn't make it.
My hatch is almost done and I didn't fry the eggs! :D

Coturnix
75 Incubated
51 Set
26 Hatched

White Laced Cornish Bantams
12 Incubated
8 Set
6 Hatched
1 Dead after Hatching

Silkie Bantams
12 Incubated
10 Set
8 Hatched
1 Splay leg

One lone silkie is still hatching, but she's waaaay behind the others. She's hardly absorbed the yolk at all, still lots of veins in the membrane, I doubt she will make it out, certainly not without help, but I will be watching her closely.

I now have 3 speckled Welsummer eggs in lockdown and three meat mutt eggs and 14 button quail eggs will go in on Tuesday. No pips yet, but my silkies and cornish bantams took three-four days after lockdown to have movement, so I'm giving them time. Most of these eggs were in my styrobator (a farm innovator), and it runs a little cool, but the temps swing up and down from 97F to 102F with an average of about 99F, so I'm afraid to turn it up a bit...for a forced air it sure is wonky xD I'm thinking of adding the black aquarium rocks I added to the others as heat sinks when the rest of the eggs in there currently go into lockdown on the 30th. Maybe see if I can stabilize that sucker ;)
Congratulations!

Um, Note to self: Wireless digital thermometer transmitters do not seem to like this process. <sigh>

Method 1: Ice Water
Fill a glass with ice cubes, then top off with cold water.
Stir the water and let sit for 3 minutes.
Stir again, then insert your thermometer into the glass, making sure not to touch the sides.
The temperature should read 32°F (0°C). Record the difference and offset your thermometer as appropriate.

Nope won't work with wireless digital. Would a plastic baggie around it really work? How do you know if you have the correct amount of ice. LOL

Final count... 6 cute chicken chicks ( 4 black Australorp and 2 white leghorn/Australorp mixes) and 5 ducks healthy. 1 last duck needed help to zip. Poor thing tried to pip both sides or got rolled or something. Not sure if it wil make it. Ducklings have been sent to their mommy. They were her eggs
1f61c.png
but when I get some land and want some she's going to let me grab more eggs.
1f605.png

Nope won't work with wireless digital. Would a plastic baggie around it really work? How do you know if you have the correct amount of ice. LOL

That is what I did with mine, just let it sit for a bit longer to insure it gets temp through the bag. Ice is as much as you can cram in there!
-Banti

Final count... 6 cute chicken chicks ( 4 black Australorp and 2 white leghorn/Australorp mixes) and 5 ducks healthy. 1 last duck needed help to zip. Poor thing tried to pip both sides or got rolled or something. Not sure if it wil make it. Ducklings have been sent to their mommy. They were her eggs
1f61c.png
but when I get some land and want some she's going to let me grab more eggs.
1f605.png
Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom