MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Well, some of my now 14 broodies have begun to hatch their chicks.

Broody #1 is a 2 year old Cuckoo Marans, her first hatch ever. She abandoned her chicks after hatch. I was able to save 2.

Broody #2 is a repeat broody, white marans. She managed to have 3 live chicks, but it looked like she smushed about 5 others. They are free ranging wherever they want to. She is not a very good mother.

Broody #3 is a first time BCM's. She hatched 5 chicks and is a great mom. She is with the flock, but takes the chicks to a chicken tractor at night.

Broody #4 is a white marans. She is a repeat mother and the best one I have so far. She hatched 9 chicks in my feed room and has since moved them in with the flock. She free ranges with them and takes them in the woods to scratch and peck.

Broody #5 is a BCM's. She may be a repeat from last year. She has hatched 5 chicks also in the feed room, but so far is not convinced to move them.

Broody #6 is poop board broody. She has 2 chicks up on the poop board with her and is insisting on continuing to sit on the eggs she has left. I have given them food and water up there, but wondering if she plans for them to stay there until they are grown. They are with the main flock in the hen house.

Broody # 7 is a blue copper marans in the marans pen. They are not being nice to her at all and yesterday, she must of hatched a first chick and the others ate it. I don't have anywhere to move her to and besides she is under the pen. This one is concerning...as is ...

Broody #8. She is sitting in a built in egg box in the main hen house and clearly has rotten eggs under her. I am just going to have to intervene on this one whenever the deluge stops. She still has a bunch of eggs under her, but it stinks bad. Not looking forward to this.

Broodys #9 and 10 are in the feed room. #9 is due any day. #10 has a week or more.

Broody # 11 is under the poop board in the marans pen. She is a black copper marans and fiercer than #7. I hope she will defend her chicks when they hatch.

Broodys #12 is an awesome mother. She is a little EE. I don't think she has moved since she started this. Her name is Survivor because she has used up at least 7 lives already. She was rejected by her mother and left for dead last year, but now she is being the mother she didn't have.

Broodys #13 and #14 are SFH's. #13 had been sitting about 3 days in the covered cat box when #14 decided that looked like a good thing to do. So they are squeezed in the cat box together sitting on no telling how many eggs. There should be a bunch of little SFH's under these ladies because I am getting no eggs from that group currently.

27 chicks from broodys so far and I'm not 1/2 way done.

Of my 4 years with chickens I have only ever had one broody... You have 13 how cool! Hoping one of my 7 decides to go broody and hatch some little ones this summer..

Of my 4 years with chickens I have only ever had one broody... You have 13 how cool! Hoping one of my 7 decides to go broody and hatch some little ones this summer..

In some ways it's cool. In other ways it's a PIA!

My feed room has over reactive hens in it, I can't get to or do anything without a bunch of drama. Broody poop stinks. My egg business is shot and I have to deal with getting the rotten eggs out because it SMELLS SO BAD!

One broody would probably be fun. 14 is a bit over the top.

update on the incubator full of eggs that was due 5/19.... I have lost count but guessing over 25 hatched?

had 3 die during hatch.. Then this morning one hatched and one more is in process of hatching...
from this batch of eggs I culled over 25 eggs that were quitters at various stages.

The 6 silkies were early quitters, I am bummed about the silky eggs. Also had a couple of white eggs that neither of them made it. Oh well will have to go egg shopping for some more eggs to try when I get back from my weekend away with the girl scouts.

Still have a few odd EE eggs from my flock that I stuck in the incubator to test fertility from the new roo.. those are due over the course of next week along with another attempt at 3 turkey eggs from a friends flock. I am not giving up until I get some turkeys to hatch!
woot.gif
Gorgeous chicks!! Sorry to hear about the quitters.
hugs.gif

I am LOVING your tenacity regarding the turkey eggs! I can see baby turkeys in your future.
thumbsup.gif

Well, some of my now 14 broodies have begun to hatch their chicks.

Broody #1 is a 2 year old Cuckoo Marans, her first hatch ever. She abandoned her chicks after hatch. I was able to save 2.

Broody #2 is a repeat broody, white marans. She managed to have 3 live chicks, but it looked like she smushed about 5 others. They are free ranging wherever they want to. She is not a very good mother.

Broody #3 is a first time BCM's. She hatched 5 chicks and is a great mom. She is with the flock, but takes the chicks to a chicken tractor at night.

Broody #4 is a white marans. She is a repeat mother and the best one I have so far. She hatched 9 chicks in my feed room and has since moved them in with the flock. She free ranges with them and takes them in the woods to scratch and peck.

Broody #5 is a BCM's. She may be a repeat from last year. She has hatched 5 chicks also in the feed room, but so far is not convinced to move them.

Broody #6 is poop board broody. She has 2 chicks up on the poop board with her and is insisting on continuing to sit on the eggs she has left. I have given them food and water up there, but wondering if she plans for them to stay there until they are grown. They are with the main flock in the hen house.

Broody # 7 is a blue copper marans in the marans pen. They are not being nice to her at all and yesterday, she must of hatched a first chick and the others ate it. I don't have anywhere to move her to and besides she is under the pen. This one is concerning...as is ...

Broody #8. She is sitting in a built in egg box in the main hen house and clearly has rotten eggs under her. I am just going to have to intervene on this one whenever the deluge stops. She still has a bunch of eggs under her, but it stinks bad. Not looking forward to this.

Broodys #9 and 10 are in the feed room. #9 is due any day. #10 has a week or more.

Broody # 11 is under the poop board in the marans pen. She is a black copper marans and fiercer than #7. I hope she will defend her chicks when they hatch.

Broodys #12 is an awesome mother. She is a little EE. I don't think she has moved since she started this. Her name is Survivor because she has used up at least 7 lives already. She was rejected by her mother and left for dead last year, but now she is being the mother she didn't have.

Broodys #13 and #14 are SFH's. #13 had been sitting about 3 days in the covered cat box when #14 decided that looked like a good thing to do. So they are squeezed in the cat box together sitting on no telling how many eggs. There should be a bunch of little SFH's under these ladies because I am getting no eggs from that group currently.

27 chicks from broodys so far and I'm not 1/2 way done.
Wow!!!
ep.gif
That's a whole lot 'o broodies you've got there!
bow.gif

For myself, I haven't decided if I like the broody thing yet or not...
gig.gif

I've got four with hatched babies and two due Monday.
The chicks do really well with them...but my chicks are SO wild!
And it IS a challenge to fit all the broodies into the existing chicken structure...lol.

Good luck with your broodies...especially #8! We're pulling for you! Please let us know how you make out.
hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif

Quote: X2 I'm very curious as well!
Did I miss something said earlier??
hide.gif

On a separate note, I find it interesting how so many different breeds have some of the same looks. Very cool!

Last edited:
Day 21! I had to leave for work but I left with 1 external pip out of 6 eggs. Hoping I come home to some babies!
Father is an EE. Eggs are 1 from Australorp/Marans mix, 2 from Blue Marans, 3 from Red Ranger.
The Australorp/Marans egg is the one pipped!

Back
Top Bottom