MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Anyone know when you can candle guinea eggs?  How do you candle a guinea egg?  Just wondering since my nest has 34 eggs in it!! 

I do mine at six or seven days and I can usually make out something, but they're harder to see in than chicken eggs so don't toss them at seven days if you don't see anything yet!

One more Week!!!!

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

We have Silkies!! So far we have 4 yellowish ones and 2 blackish ones, and a few more pipped.

The first little black hatched has really bad splayed legs. And one of the yellow ones was an assisted hatch - I was a nervous wreck but got it done. He pipped on the pointy end, and was positioned in such a way that his head would only go one way, and he already had that hole pecked - just couldn't get his head moved to chip away at the rest of it. He's got curled feet. So I need to get the vet wrap back out and wrap them.

They are cute...that little black one also looks like it's doing what I call the paddle walk. The eventually get strong enough to get up on their legs and walk right..instead of on their bum. :)

I am on day 9, just candled & tossed 2 more eggs. One of them was scrambled; the other was a quitter; I think it was a blood ring. The last 2 eggs I could see movement, so hopefully they will make it the rest of the time! Really hoping for a couple of pullets to replace my 2 hens that died recently.

My hatch might be done. Float tested the remaining eggs and found 3 DIS, probably the heat. The last two eggs stay for a couple extra days as I think they were wiggling during the float test.

Back
Top Bottom