MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Quote:
I candle my guinea eggs just like I do with the chickens, except like Pyxis says...they're harder to see than chicken eggs.
I haven't tossed any of the ones that have shown life, only if I was completely certain it was no good.
I candled mine last night due June 6 and all the ones I had put question marks on were moving fine.
So it was really good I hadn't chucked them out!

They're different than chicken eggs with how the embryo moves.
I don't care for incubating them....but I am looking forward to getting keets! Hopefully...
fl.gif

Last edited:
Lol...I just came in from candling the 4 guinea eggs that are under my last two broodies (I ended up not changing the eggs because I was going to be away when they were hatching) and I it looks like 3 of the 4 keets have internally pipped.
woot.gif

They're not due until Monday so this caught me off guard.
I'm not certain if the one egg is viable or if it's died.

I officially ended my first hatch, I started out with 18 eggs and I got 12 chicks. I had one blood ring, one I damaged while adjusting the metal bars on my Brinsea Octagon, one that zipped but never progressed past that and three that never pipped (they could have actually been clears/blood rings they were Marans and Marans cross Olive Eggers, difficult to candle and I couldn't make myself toss them until I gave them a chance). Five Black Copper Marans, five Olive Eggers, and two Orp/Marans crosses hatched out, adorable little fuzzballs!

Carrie

I officially ended my first hatch, I started out with 18 eggs and I got 12 chicks.  I had one blood ring, one I damaged while adjusting the metal bars on my Brinsea Octagon, one that zipped but never progressed past that and three that never pipped (they could have actually been clears/blood rings they were Marans and Marans cross Olive Eggers, difficult to candle and I couldn't make myself toss them until I gave them a chance).  Five Black Copper Marans, five Olive Eggers, and two Orp/Marans crosses hatched out, adorable little fuzzballs!  

Carrie
Congrats.

I officially ended my first hatch, I started out with 18 eggs and I got 12 chicks. I had one blood ring, one I damaged while adjusting the metal bars on my Brinsea Octagon, one that zipped but never progressed past that and three that never pipped (they could have actually been clears/blood rings they were Marans and Marans cross Olive Eggers, difficult to candle and I couldn't make myself toss them until I gave them a chance). Five Black Copper Marans, five Olive Eggers, and two Orp/Marans crosses hatched out, adorable little fuzzballs!

Carrie

Congrats!
woot.gif

They are cute...that little black one also looks like it's doing what I call the paddle walk. The eventually get strong enough to get up on their legs and walk right..instead of on their bum. :)
Cynthia, is this what you mean by "paddle walk"? Oh, you may want to turn down your volume before you watch - the kitchen exhaust fan was on and it's in the wall next to the counter where I had him to video him.

0.jpg

Mama had her brood out on their first foraging trip today. It only lasted a few minutes before bringing them back to the coop for a warm up.

Of course, they couldn't go out without a big strong guardian rooster standing watch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom