MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Our incubator hatch is done, we got 16 BOs out of it. When we opened one of the unhatched eggs, we found major defects. Crossed beak, and the poor thing only had one eye!

We have broody hen on 13 eggs day 15.

I think my hatch is complete. The two eggs who were pipped just hatched on day 22 and omg are they noisy! It's 2 in the morning and they won't let me sleep! The two eggs who had nothing going are still doing nothing. If no progress I will candle later this morning to check for signs of life when I go to remove the two new babies.

So call me crazy, but I set 24 peafowl eggs last night and today I'm gonna set another 88. Many are older, so I doubt they'll hatch, but I'll set them just for grins.

-Kathy

Anyone know when you can candle guinea eggs? How do you candle a guinea egg? Just wondering since my nest has 34 eggs in it!!
You can see development by day 7, I found I like day 10 better. I wouldn't toss anything out too early. Veining seems smaller and lighter than chicks.

Quote: Yes, don't toss too early.

Quote:
I candle my guinea eggs just like I do with the chickens, except like Pyxis says...they're harder to see than chicken eggs.
I haven't tossed any of the ones that have shown life, only if I was completely certain it was no good.
I candled mine last night due June 6 and all the ones I had put question marks on were moving fine.
So it was really good I hadn't chucked them out!

They're different than chicken eggs with how the embryo moves.
I don't care for incubating them....but I am looking forward to getting keets! Hopefully...
fl.gif

Good luck. I found them to be odd to candle too. Some seem to develop at different rates.

Lol...I just came in from candling the 4 guinea eggs that are under my last two broodies (I ended up not changing the eggs because I was going to be away when they were hatching) and I it looks like 3 of the 4 keets have internally pipped.
woot.gif

They're not due until Monday so this caught me off guard.
I'm not certain if the one egg is viable or if it's died.
Is Monday day 26 or 28? I hatched my first batch, first pip on day 25, hatched day 26, Then 4 pipped and Hatched Day 28, and one piped day 28 and hatched day 29.

I just got a batch of guinea eggs from a friend into the 'bator, but I'm pretty sure they were refrigerated for a few days. We shall wait and see what develops.
idunno.gif
Good Luck!

Just a quick update:

The last egg I was waiting on died. Opened it the next day.

The keets are pipping today.
Then the one broody hopped off the nest to go eat!
idunno.gif

And she was gone for a while.
Meanwhile her eggs are sitting there with big cracks in them out in the open...
th.gif

I didn't intervene...I want to see if she knows more than I think she does...lol!!
The guinea hen lays every day...and I've got more eggs, I guess.

I have 9 guinea eggs that are good and a few that are questionable.
I have 6 left of the blue egge layer, plus the 2 groups of started eggs...
and the guinea eggs I set today. So far anyway.
woot.gif
Good luck!

Woke up this morning to hatched chicks, turkeys .
due today right on time.....
Kerns Amerucanas 11 out of 13 have hatched ( wish mine were that fertile)
3 turkeys of the eggs I found out side under the broody turkey hen after she hatched her chicks are hatching. one 5 days ago, 2 this morning, 2 not doing anything yet. I left them in the turner until pipped. Because I know they were particle started under the turkey.
2 NN 1 feathered neck out of the Brahma cross NN roo and my blue marans hen.
humidity was down to 20 percent but hatching like mad.
PS my turkey is laying again . 8 eggs so far. She sleeps on them at night with her chicks but I see her outside with her chicks in the daytime. It will be interesting to see if she hatches this clutch of egg....
.........................................................................................................................................
I have Broodies everywhere. in the one NN roo pen there is 2 marans blue hens sitting on I don't know how many eggs. LOTS of them.....
A black marans hen sitting on amerucana eggs (have to check them to see if they are any good. It horrible around here with Broodies or hens that want to set.....

Boy did I make a big mistake didn't get to the feed store yesterday ran out of chick starter. They are hungry and peeping up a storm. It doesn't open until 9. I am going outside.....

Woke up this morning to hatched chicks, turkeys .
due today right on time.....
Kerns Amerucanas 11 out of 13 have hatched ( wish mine were that fertile)
3 turkeys of the eggs I found out side under the broody turkey hen after she hatched her chicks are hatching. one 5 days ago, 2 this morning, 2 not doing anything yet. I left them in the turner until pipped. Because I know they were particle started under the turkey.
2 NN 1 feathered neck out of the Brahma cross NN roo and my blue marans hen.
humidity was down to 20 percent but hatching like mad.
PS my turkey is laying again . 8 eggs so far. She sleeps on them at night with her chicks but I see her outside with her chicks in the daytime. It will be interesting to see if she hatches this clutch of egg....
.........................................................................................................................................
I have Broodies everywhere. in the one NN roo pen there is 2 marans blue hens sitting on I don't know how many eggs. LOTS of them.....
A black marans hen sitting on amerucana eggs (have to check them to see if they are any good. It horrible around here with Broodies or hens that want to set.....

Boy did I make a big mistake didn't get to the feed store yesterday ran out of chick starter. They are hungry and peeping up a storm. It doesn't open until 9. I am going outside.....
Congrats!

-Kathy

Day 21 and I have 5 babies already! While taking out some chicks real quick and cleaning up egg shells I saw some stuff under a egg. So I checked that egg and he had pipped wrong side down and through the yolk. He was already gone before I noticed. 4 eggs left but haven't pipped but I did see movement. I think they are just a day behind because I put them in the next day after the others. Now on to the pictures!! They are a cross between a barnevelder roo and a black sex link hen so I guess they are backyard mutts?

Back
Top Bottom