MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

#2 out when i got up. Nothing from egg #3 that was moving early yesterday.i shall give it 1 more day maybe she is just slow.

Yeah to start with 22 eggs and get 2 chicks lol not a very good hatch rate this time lol.although i knew 9 of those were bad the MPC eggs that got lost and traveled the country. But the croads were packed so well air cells looked great at beginning by day 7 were saddled and some still detached. Oh well more eggs coming in June!!!!!!!

Should go home to babies under my broody. She came off the nest last night while I was collecting eggs and I saw 1 external pip. She started with around 6 but I had issues with her cracking them when other hens tried using her nest. So she only has 2 left. Hopefully it goes well, this will be my first successful broody hatch. Almost more nerve wrecking than using the incubator.
I hope all goes well for you!
Total count so far:
1 chick
3 pips
1 internal pip
The broodies might have a 100% hatch!
woot.gif
Broodies are the best!

About a week and a half old, no losses so far. I think all of the ones I was hoping would be pullets are actually cockerels, they've already started mock sparring.
I'm glad to hear they are all doing well. It seems like the ones you want to be pullets the most are always the ones that turn out to be roosters. Don't worry about the mock sparring though, as both cockerels and pullets will spar as chicks. it is in no way an indication of gender.
Christopher and Banti
love.gif

Yeah to start with 22 eggs and get 2 chicks lol not a very good hatch rate this time lol.although i knew 9 of those were bad the MPC eggs that got lost and traveled the country. But the croads were packed so well air cells looked great at beginning by day 7 were saddled and some still detached. Oh well more eggs coming in June!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear you only got 2 chicks. I hope you have better luck next time. where did you get the croads from? Did they come from MPC?

Sorry to hear you only got 2 chicks. I hope you have better luck next time. where did you get the croads from? Did they come from MPC?
from spectrum poultry in Rhode Island. She is sending me a whole new order. Although i think it was shipping issues they were packed very well i even added fragile but part of my box was dented.lol she sells the for 50. A dozen i think she is on facebook under that name. The eggs were beautiful orange/brown to yes a couple that were still plum colored.

from spectrum poultry in Rhode Island. She is sending me a whole new order. Although i think it was shipping issues they were packed very well i even added fragile but part of my box was dented.lol she sells the for 50. A dozen i think she is on facebook under that name. The eggs were beautiful orange/brown to yes a couple that were still plum colored.

Hopefully the 2nd round goes better.

I hope all goes well for you!
woot.gif
Broodies are the best!
I'm glad to hear they are all doing well. It seems like the ones you want to be pullets the most are always the ones that turn out to be roosters. Don't worry about the mock sparring though, as both cockerels and pullets will spar as chicks. it is in no way an indication of gender.
love.gif
I have some bantam EE chicks from the Easter HAL and they are mock sparring and flaring their hackle feathers like a lizard does.. I've never seen a chicken flare out like that. Would pullets do that?

Back
Top Bottom