MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I have a Serama egg zipping!

I don't think you are going to get any sleep tonight.....lol Congratulations!!!!
Just set 3 Ayam Cemani eggs Sunday night! SO excited!
wee.gif
Go chickies go!!!
fl.gif

I set 7 of them 10 days ago, and another 14 tonight! I think they are BEAUTIFUL birds.

Last edited:
Sally OR Mike:
I don't mean to be forward or rude, but I'm on this HAL because I'm a total newbie here and need help to understand the process of hatching and incubating eggs. My question above has sat on the board over 24-hours and I'm not sure anyone has yet to comment on what may or may not be happening with the air cells of my eggs. Is there any one who can please help me with my question?

I'm worried that some of my eggs candled with an air cell space of almost 50% ~ IS THAT BAD?

What are you running humidity at? And do you know how old the eggs were when you set them (the ones that seem 50% air cell)?

Hope we can help, sorry you went unanswered, sometimes messages can get lost in the shear number of posts especially when people are hatching or posting pictures. In the future try tagging them in your post so they see it.

No problem! Here's a saddle air cell, see how it comes down the side of the egg like that? http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/8/8e/186x400px-LL-8e524a4e_image.jpeg

It's not uncommon in shipped eggs, and you can still hatch them, you just need to be sure your humidity is on point. Weighing them is usually the best way to track moisture loss in eggs like that but yours are already started so unfortunately it's too late to do that. I'm betting what you are seeing is saddle shaped air cells and not really air cells taking up 50% of the egg, especially only on day 4 when you candled. It just would have been impossible for the eggs to have lost that much moisture that early in incubation.
Hmm, nope that's not what they appeared to look like; but thank you for showing me that pic. I think I probably am a complete newbie at this, and have just tried to candle them too early. Do you suppose that's what it is? LOL!! Okay, now I feel kinda like an idiot LOL!! I looked on YouTube about candling eggs, and I think I marked where the shadow was (yolk) LOL... too funny!!

I will candle them again tomorrow and be more knowledgable, especially after getting your help here! Thank you once again dear lady.

Hmm, nope that's not what they appeared to look like; but thank you for showing me that pic. I think I probably am a complete newbie at this, and have just tried to candle them too early. Do you suppose that's what it is? LOL!! Okay, now I feel kinda like an idiot LOL!! I looked on YouTube about candling eggs, and I think I marked where the shadow was (yolk) LOL... too funny!!

I will candle them again tomorrow and be more knowledgable, especially after getting your help here! Thank you once again dear lady.

Let us know how it goes!

Speaking of candling, I'm off to candle the six silkie and 12 AC eggs I set on Saturday :D

What are you running humidity at? And do you know how old the eggs were when you set them (the ones that seem 50% air cell)?

Hope we can help, sorry you went unanswered, sometimes messages can get lost in the shear number of posts especially when people are hatching or posting pictures. In the future try tagging them in your post so they see it.
Oh, okay. That seems like a good idea. How do I tag them?

And thank you so much for replying to me. If you'll read my feed with Pyxis, it'll tell you what may have likely happened. Don't laugh too loud... LOL!!

Have you gone to page 1 of the Incubating with friends thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-chat-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine

There are links to lots of photos of candled eggs and what they should look like at each day of the incubation!!

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes!

Speaking of candling, I'm off to candle the six silkie and 12 AC eggs I set on Saturday
big_smile.png
Sweet!! I like your AC breed of chickens... they are sure different!! Have a fabulous day and best of luck in your candling adventures ;-)

I have silkies hatching. Will try and get some sleep. Need to check on them around 2 in the morning..it's almost 12:30 now. Two are out and doing well. 4 more to go.

CUTIES!!!! CONGRATS!!  no dirt that I can use here....  either papertowels as littles or pine shavings  dont see it should be an issue except its not absorbant and may get muddy or have cocci in it

Thanks! Three of them were sleeping on one of the perches next to each other tonight. So cute. Will try to get a picture tomorrow. They also like to sleep between them or on the floor with their head resting on a perch :)

Back
Top Bottom