MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Looking forward to poults this weekend. Someone asked about buying them, but I can't say I have enough experience with them. Around work, I sell off extra chicks to help pay for my chicken addiction. I only have a few turkey and the babies are so delicate!
1f625.png

We’re very excited to announce the winners of the

~ Patriotic Party! ~ Red, White & Blue Recipe Contest

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...he-brave-hal-w-hosts-mike-sally#post_16939806

Huge thanks to everyone who participated,

and ESPECIALLY to our prize/s sponsor

@MyPetChicken !

GK2lDU1VYZ6MU5-apjontnCfMDZiSkyNlqHX0O2RVB9kH2bT-UUz575-zh9O8op7ljWOLuN5RuAj6ojk6lpekhZ0e0TvO6uW9YbUKcUMzQ2hEusyLfiJLLY2hZ7inygmsFidqKIL

1st Place WINNER! @RodNTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodNTN
xpaJf36mrWcTEszblhRUOJeaY9nckGwjC3Z7wzMQjNlW-Jq0HVQonM9VYkyOAX2UydCGuqHTg5C1y24yPpmkC968QJD5XYbMxZUjWQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Buttery Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
1. One cup of butter (2 sticks)
2. One cup of Sugar
3. One large egg
4. Two teaspoons of baking powder
5. 1 1/2 teaspoon of Mexican vanilla.
6. 2 3/4 cup of flour
7. 1/2 teaspoon of salt

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a mixer, cream your butter and sugar, and beat in egg and vanilla.
Mix your flour and baking powder together, and add 1 cup at a time to mixer.
(DO NOT chill your dough, because it will become stiff)
Divide the dough into two balls on a floured surface, roll it out to 1/8 inch thickness.
Cut with cookie cutter and bake on a greased pan for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
Decorate with sugar colored with food coloring and sprinkles (opt.)
ENJOY!
HT5tYkOfTpuer1E-6hQF_TEsjJbmjdw608PeKjLXWadp7-2O0F35CDpw4vH7dMrDw88cRRk5u11HgyCdD6QBfC0yd3iOeYniqkPMVIM=s0-d-e1-ft

1st Place:

Peace, Love, Chickens T-shirt: CLICK HERE

sVM6XijbURvvojC20hcGqbRjY4zTURbODl9v7Or4qvhDmFGWgGgxD23dLlYIUiDSfdafkC7kbClAazt6-sJk40kAzwXAfVj6lAxa3NGWWvgwxLaPmxhV9556s0uFSmkYkvQapSQv

2nd Place Winner! @sasafras4u2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasafras4u2

m5OoLtqwXPbL8-IO7Gjxb5_ljdZUW88MEFFuuPVE5RkfhL157uKclTZzFRlh2NxsG3WUjC2YXB_1PVZMD0KHOgP5WqAl-989a8SkCJfhVFxr10bF5ZR6ldRc18c=s0-d-e1-ft

Simple enough the grandkids helped me make it. It Paula Deans not yo mommas bananna puddin with a few adjustments. The only thing i change is i add fruits on top. I made a flag with the cookies upside down. Blueberries. And sliced strawberries. And of course whipped cream in the can! I have used pineapples and kiwi and mandarine oranges before too. Always with the bananas on the bottom atop of the cookies. Any shortbread cookie will work.

Taken from a public website.it is yum yum yummy.

2nd Place:

Team Pokey Coffee: CLICK HERE

Description: What is Coops for Troops?

The proceeds for TeamPokey Coffee are earmarked for Coops for Troops, which provides therapy chickens, a coop, and a starter pack of supplies to veterans and military families who may be struggling with isolation, depression, anxiety or PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. We thank you for your support of Pokey and your support of our military men and women and their families who have served this great country of ours! Does the coffee make the grade?
Well, we love it! Team Pokey Coffee is well balanced and aromatic with just a hint of chocolate tones. It's a medium roast--not too dark, and not too light, perfect to enjoy any time of the day. And each sip you take will be all the sweeter, knowing you've supported this worthwhile cause.
Cj_gYSlLK-C3AO2SenJsJ8PJAzAHSvD6EOfvpmzNQifdIJUyLBa9sZ6ryW65gg-TAUr86Y_upYP6wlInMxnSHrYvEqDT3ZuEPcgCs_cN_XrOsmCqwBPLwegQL8JzrMopVSiTBHBn

3rd Place WINNER! @NaJoBeLe

Quote:Originally Posted by NaJoBeLe

Well here goes. I will preface this with I am not a cook, nor am I a photographer. However, in the words of my late grandfather "it's not the looks that are important, as long as it taste good I'm happy" I might not have done them justice cooking, prepping, or photographing but they were good regardless.

First up Red Velvet pancakes with cream cheese icing and blueberries.

a7_SijR_wNs5em3oWaAGjZGGt4b_Jx-QkVSRvmYRBggKGKyjF5po9yvtVRKiPHSss-A1S46UYAeW6k1EeyZw-gr26qLga7p5C-4705bYkkFj9qPSja7viQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Cream Cheese Topping
4 Oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup butter
3 tbs milk
2 cups powdered gugar

Pancakes
2 cups original bisquick mix
1 tbs granulated sugar
1 tbs unsweetened baking cocoa
1 cup milk
1 to 1 1/2 tsp red paste food color
2 eggs
Powdered sugar if desired

1. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and 3 tbs milk with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until topping is smooth. Cover and set aside.

2. In large bowl, stir all pancake ingredients except powdered sugar until well blended. Heat griddle or skillet to medium-high heat (375°F). Spray with cooking spray if neccesarry.

3. Pour roughly 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Cook 2-3 minutes until edges look dry and you see bubbles in the middle. Carefully flip and continue to cook for additional 1-2 minutes.

4. If desired sprinkle powdered sugar on and drizzle cream cheese topping, add blueberries and serve.

Cooks notes. Serving breakfast in bed to your pregnant wife will earn extra brownie points

3rd Place:

Wire Egg Display: CLICK HERE

Wire Egg Display Holds 12 eggs. Dimensions: 10 1/4" long x 7 1/2" wide
0xWe17Bqvyl_QOW2U4KF8likTcpyCSk4_5PJiqBiy1wz2OHOTvGPShSeEA2uGp76mZEdVtJ7s6z7viHTxv02HYxcqoQVmyuvvv7Me6qc7bVnKKdysJD4JqFEq_50PAvQfqX1PqiA

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!

Announcing

winners!

Thank you to everyone who contributed and supported

our efforts to create a great contest.

Prize donations by…

GK2lDU1VYZ6MU5-apjontnCfMDZiSkyNlqHX0O2RVB9kH2bT-UUz575-zh9O8op7ljWOLuN5RuAj6ojk6lpekhZ0e0TvO6uW9YbUKcUMzQ2hEusyLfiJLLY2hZ7inygmsFidqKIL

THANK YOU @MyPetChicken

Congratulations to all the winners!​

1st PLACE WINNER! @Keraun

Quote:Originally Posted by Keraun
Entry 2

07f1836a_20160521_134802275_iOS.jpeg
1st Place:

Customers using Seabuck 7 backyard chicken feed additive report health benefits for their chickens AND improvements in the quality, size, and number of eggs produced! This 99.9% natural blend is a complete source of Omega 3, 6, 9 and rare Omega 7. Using Seabuck as a nutritional supplement can improve the condition of your flock's feathers, skin, waddles, and combs, thus increasing your flock's health and resistance to illness.
hOZ4ASTBD5Tfk4lNJ5aV3mdBXXZzFc84YAKqB8AxPEOxJSYqt2iEajbBURzJSrnUFUUkDypcdyaAtAEW-s2SsGCWy_qlupOWIBflJYO4ZTG7j3KoIEJw7I40bgsc-ptEZQZqUHPP

2nd Place WINNER! @wornoutmomto3

Originally Posted by wornoutmomto3

Entry #1
9b44fd64_IMG_2953.jpeg

2nd Place:

Description: What is Coops for Troops?

The proceeds for TeamPokey Coffee are earmarked for Coops for Troops, which provides therapy chickens, a coop, and a starter pack of supplies to veterans and military families who may be struggling with isolation, depression, anxiety or PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. We thank you for your support of Pokey and your support of our military men and women and their families who have served this great country of ours! Does the coffee make the grade?
Well, we love it! Team Pokey Coffee is well balanced and aromatic with just a hint of chocolate tones. It's a medium roast--not too dark, and not too light, perfect to enjoy any time of the day. And each sip you take will be all the sweeter, knowing you've supported this worthwhile cause.
Cj_gYSlLK-C3AO2SenJsJ8PJAzAHSvD6EOfvpmzNQifdIJUyLBa9sZ6ryW65gg-TAUr86Y_upYP6wlInMxnSHrYvEqDT3ZuEPcgCs_cN_XrOsmCqwBPLwegQL8JzrMopVSiTBHBn

3rd Place Winner! @dragonbird
Originally Posted by dragonbird
This is Trump (named because we got him and his friend, Little Marco, on the day of the the Chicago Trump Protests)...He (she?) is really patriotic! ;)
9e1f08b1_chickenchicktrumpMarch2016-9.jpeg
3rd Place:

The proprietor at Sweet Olive Soap Works, based out of New Orleans, Louisiana, uses eggs from her own backyard hens in this special formulation. It's wonderfully smooth and moisturizing, with a mild pink grapefruit scent.
LsY9ca0VX6V8c8H8_P3FEGQQtPib-B4ESZtm2sQRlJ0h14zDM8nR8szp2L4vFmD26_tL-0A5L0luKb6JCunu07kvw1BXEqfB2Za7OouwQlMjbabzXSU5ddPjVPWEZPOtokvtUnz-

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!

Here you go @Sally Sunshine
Four and five day old chicks roosting :)

And a few minutes later. Lol, they don't all stay on when they fall asleep. Some are better at balancing than others.

Our blue little blue likely cockerel, "Minnie", surveying from his lookout spot while everyone else goes crazy over spaghetti. Last night, we were watching TV and heard a chick cheeping very loudly. I went in the mud room to make sure one wasn't hurt, and Minnie was up on this brick with his neck stretched up to the sky screaming his fool head off. :rolleyes:

And finally, five day old Periwinkle the Lavender Orpington enjoying a dust bath.

Here you go @Sally Sunshine
Four and five day old chicks roosting
smile.png

And a few minutes later. Lol, they don't all stay on when they fall asleep. Some are better at balancing than others.

Our blue little blue likely cockerel, "Minnie", surveying from his lookout spot while everyone else goes crazy over spaghetti. Last night, we were watching TV and heard a chick cheeping very loudly. I went in the mud room to make sure one wasn't hurt, and Minnie was up on this brick with his neck stretched up to the sky screaming his fool head off.
roll.png

And finally, five day old Periwinkle the Lavender Orpington enjoying a dust bath.

Cute pics

Cute pics

Thanks! They're so cute I'm not getting anything done. I should be mowing the lawn while the toddler naps, but can't stop watching chicks!

We ordered a ceramic bulb, should be here tomorrow. The red bulb really heats up the room they're in too much. Bonus with a ceramic bulb and the full spectrum light we leave on in the daytime will be better lighting for pictures!

you guys are really fast at announcing the winners!!
Thank you @Sally Sunshine and @mlm Mike for hosting!!
and of course thanks @MyPetChicken for so many great prizes!!

Yes, thank you @Sally Sunshine and @mlm Mike for hosting this HAL and @MyPetChicken for so many great prizes!! Also thanks to all the individuals who donated prizes as well.
Congrats to all the winners.

Back
Top Bottom