MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Candles and locked down 16 viable looking eggs out of the 17 that started development

I have 6 under a broody I need to check for viability at some point, and I might have 2 more going broody as they are camping in the nests tonight instead of the perches. I see how they are over the next few days and then decide if I want to give them eggs.
good luck in both batches!!

May batch finally finished. Of 20-30 only 9 have made it this far. 4 had internally pipped and passed. The others werent formed right. And one of the 9 that did make it is in a chick chair learning how to use his feet properly.

Also i have one chick that has no stripes. Curious to see what it turns out like. The parents are rir and ee. Out of 24 chicks from these parents, this is the first without stripes.
sorry about the losses, good luck with the others!

THANK YOU SALLY AND MIKE!! These HAL's have me buried in chicks, but it's been fuuun! Thank you for all your help as well!
highfive.gif

Thank you so much for the hatch a longs Mike and Sally! I had a blast!
yesss.gif

Our May hatch went off smoothly
27/30 but lost the Last two later babies.
Started on day 19 all the colored eggs hatched first
2764.png
lots of blue.
All lavender orps in hatched out fine.
Sold entire hatch except 1 blue, 1 blonde, & 1 black EE.

Good hatch rate tho.
Have to check onto a June hatch we're ready again.

Congrats!!!
My aunt just lost most of her flock. She found pieces of chickens in her henhouse. She only has two old hens and two roosters left. Any clue what leaves pieces?

Thought I'd offer to incubate any eggs she can get from the older hens. What's the longest we can save them? 10 days?
oh no!!!!! I have no clue!!! something ate them up good! do you have a trail cam you can set up for a little to see what it is? poor things!!
I have set older eggs, you can loose by setting them, just try!

Here is a picture from this morning of my double broodies. There are 8 babies that I have counted thus far in with them. I put them on the floor this morning because I didn't want the babies to fall off of the table the cat box was on is they hopped out.

cuties!!!!

Quote:
yesss.gif

Quote: true story!! thanks Mike!

Our little blue potential rooster, Minnie, was renamed Max. He appears to have barring on his wings, which means he's probably a Barred Rock/Ameracauna cross. He looks to have a pea comb and fluffy cheeks. Hoping he has a calm disposition if he is a cockerel. Would be an interesting mix to try to get some colorful eggs. He hatched from a brown egg, so maybe Barred Rock hen, Ameracauna rooster? Eggs were from my father in law's mixed flock of Ameracauna, Barred Rock, and Australorp.

This is our little blonde Russian Orloff, Bela
smile.png

great images!!!
Today was awesome! My silkied hen got reserve champion female and champion female silkied! Finn got 4th place in the males prospect class. Truffles made it into the second tier and Kingsley got 3rd place silkied male! I'm very proud!

oh Shah!!! fantastic!!!
I forgot to mention that my doe kidded yesterday! Unfortunately it was a really hard delivery ( luckily the emergency vet at the equine hospital knew a little about goats and sheep) they thought she needed a c section but luckily were able to avoid it! But, 2/3 of the kids died. I am defiantly keeping the doeling that survived! She is worth as much as the vet bills (it's worth it) and of course I was out of town when this happened! I'll try to find a picture of her.
oh I am sorry about the poor babies shah, poor mamma ok? have pics?

yesss.gif

true story!! thanks Mike!

great images!!!

oh Shah!!! fantastic!!!
oh I am sorry about the poor babies shah, poor mamma ok? have pics?

yes mom survived luckily. the baby is super super small and has a hard time nursing. she and mom got dehydrated, then mom retained the placenta. after that the baby had to get tube fed and was helped to nurse every hour. we pick them up from the vet today and have to give antibiotic shots because of the stress the doe went through. I also have to constantly help the baby nurse and most likely bottle feed. ill have my hands full for the next couple weeks so I might not be on as much after we pick them up tonight.

this is her after she was born. I am trying to come up with a unique name. Leaning towards Vida (means dearly loved
idunno.gif
)

I took this shot of my favorite little Silkie from the HAL with her favorite broody buddy. They are always together, silly things. The bigger one is a White Chochin. Believe it or not they are about the same age - the Chochin was hatched on Monday March 16th and shipped with 7 others from My Pet Chicken and the Silkies hatched here at home starting March 19 or so..

And this little sweetheart (a Red Splash Silkie, we are hoping) always knows where the best places are to hide!

oh my GOOODNESSSS she has a stash and beard!!!!! I am in love!!!!!!! I am comin to getter shah!!! lol

These are a few of the broody chicks from this Hatch a long- There were well over 50 from broodys this month.

you take some great images !!!

Candles and locked down 16 viable looking eggs out of the 17 that started development

GOOD LUCK!!!!! great number!!!

May batch finally finished. Of 20-30 only 9 have made it this far. 4 had internally pipped and passed. The others werent formed right. And one of the 9 that did make it is in a chick chair learning how to use his feet properly.

Also i have one chick that has no stripes. Curious to see what it turns out like. The parents are rir and ee. Out of 24 chicks from these parents, this is the first without stripes.
were they sticky?

Quote:
yesss.gif
you have to stop in and out!! you are part of our original group!!!!
love.gif
@chickendreams24

oh my GOOODNESSSS she has a stash and beard!!!!! I am in love!!!!!!! I am comin to getter shah!!! lol

I know right! She is too cute! I go too visit her late last night ( i was out of town when this happened) and i was amazed at how small and comfortable around people she is. The vets say mom is a handful though
lau.gif

Quote: awwww its perfect

I took this shot of my favorite little Silkie from the HAL with her favorite broody buddy. They are always together, silly things. The bigger one is a White Chochin. Believe it or not they are about the same age - the Chochin was hatched on Monday March 16th and shipped with 7 others from My Pet Chicken and the Silkies hatched here at home starting March 19 or so..

And this little sweetheart (a Red Splash Silkie, we are hoping) always knows where the best places are to hide!
awwwwwww

And my mottled rooster (all of his babies have been a shade of chocolate) produced a frizzled chocolate serama
yesss.gif
love.gif
wee.gif

these are both his babies

Back
Top Bottom