MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

SJ Plugged everything in for 48 hours before we set the eggs and had an extra thermometer in there. Seemed to stay consistent. I did the float test last night and no activity.

Chaos.... So more towards the "dry incubation" method. It's only my second time doing this and I read about that but it seemed so much lower than the bator instructions, I was concerned about going that low. Should have done my trial run with cheaper eggs...LOL!!!

I am going to start a new batch with my own eggs. I checked the ones we are eating and it looks like they are about 50% fertile. Need to have a chat with Archie the rooster about that.
Yea I guess more towards the "dry incubation". Have you read the article below before?

Hatching Eggs 101 CLICK HERE

Yes, I have. Skimmed through it again last night or maybe it was the assisted hatching one. At 2 AM who knows. I will read the whole thing through again before I start the next batch. Great suggestion. Thanks!!

Hatching mostly done! I was concerned about humidity this time because it spiked when we had rain 2 weeks ago and I had a hard time getting it down where I wanted . Next time I will open up more vents! So far one turkey hatched and one dis turkey, with 3 more this weekend. The chicks are done hatching, and I know that humidity was a bit too high. Was able to save one malposition little cream Legbar, looks like a cockerel. Had 2 Cream Legbar pullets hatch, 2 Marans, and 3 olive eggers ( Marans x Legbar ). I made a mama heat pad, it is way too hot to use a heat lamp, especially indoors where I would like AC. They love it! Even the poult figured it out! Here is hoping the rest of the poults hatch!
And Rosabelle and Annabelle are brooding away, I candled their eggs last night and it is looking really great! Gonna be overrun by turkeys and chickens!

Hatching mostly done! I was concerned about humidity this time because it spiked when we had rain 2 weeks ago and I had a hard time getting it down where I wanted . Next time I will open up more vents! So far one turkey hatched and one dis turkey, with 3 more this weekend. The chicks are done hatching, and I know that humidity was a bit too high. Was able to save one malposition little cream Legbar, looks like a cockerel. Had 2 Cream Legbar pullets hatch, 2 Marans, and 3 olive eggers ( Marans x Legbar ). I made a mama heat pad, it is way too hot to use a heat lamp, especially indoors where I would like AC. They love it! Even the poult figured it out! Here is hoping the rest of the poults hatch!
And Rosabelle and Annabelle are brooding away, I candled their eggs last night and it is looking really great! Gonna be overrun by turkeys and chickens!
Congrats!!
is being overrun with birds a bad thing??

Too-Rich.jpg

SJ    Plugged everything in for 48 hours before we set the eggs and had an extra thermometer in there. Seemed to stay consistent. I did the float test last night and no activity. 

Chaos.... So more towards the "dry incubation" method. It's only my second time doing this and I read about that but it seemed so much lower than the bator instructions, I was concerned about going that low. Should have done my trial run with cheaper eggs...LOL!!!

I am going to start a new batch with my own eggs. I checked the ones we are eating and it looks like they are about 50% fertile. Need to have a chat with Archie the rooster about that. 

I'm only getting about 50% as well. For that incubator if you're not hatching Marans or
Welsummer I would go with 100.5 f and as close to 30% humidity as I can.

I'm only getting about 50% as well. For that incubator if you're not hatching Marans or
Welsummer I would go with 100.5 f and as close to 30% humidity as I can.

What would you do for morans and welsummer? I hatched this spring and my olive egger and amerucanas had great hatch rates...my moran and welsummer in the same batch had only 40-50% hatch rate. The rest were DIS and fully formed.

Back
Top Bottom