MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

What would you do for morans and welsummer? I hatched this spring and my olive egger and amerucanas had great hatch rates...my moran and welsummer in the same batch had only 40-50% hatch rate. The rest were DIS and fully formed.
WHY do we need less humidity to get the best weight loss for colored hatching eggs during incubation? post #36320

Yes, I have. Skimmed through it again last night or maybe it was the assisted hatching one. At 2 AM who knows. I will read the whole thing through again before I start the next batch. Great suggestion. Thanks!!
INCUBATION QUESTIONS w/answers post #85688

here is some basics, I attempted to sum up the common issues in that post.... for more details on them you can refer to the hatching 101 or this NOTES section HERE https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

@Madpolak sorry about the issues, you have questions just ask!

Hatching mostly done! I was concerned about humidity this time because it spiked when we had rain 2 weeks ago and I had a hard time getting it down where I wanted . Next time I will open up more vents! So far one turkey hatched and one dis turkey, with 3 more this weekend. The chicks are done hatching, and I know that humidity was a bit too high. Was able to save one malposition little cream Legbar, looks like a cockerel. Had 2 Cream Legbar pullets hatch, 2 Marans, and 3 olive eggers ( Marans x Legbar ). I made a mama heat pad, it is way too hot to use a heat lamp, especially indoors where I would like AC. They love it! Even the poult figured it out! Here is hoping the rest of the poults hatch!
And Rosabelle and Annabelle are brooding away, I candled their eggs last night and it is looking really great! Gonna be overrun by turkeys and chickens!
awwwwww Congrats on your babies!!!

Anyone hear about the New England egg farm? Supposedly it's under investigation but to me it looks like, sadly, normal factory farm conditions.. but supposedly there were dead birds and some other accusations I forget but the humane society filmed the video and they're a big scam and supposedly the guy only worked there a month and was fired cause he didn't follow policy (he was undercover and supposedly their policy is to remove carcasses within 24 hours. I buy it, he probably left them for the purposes of staging the video). It's the biggest egg organization in New England. This isn't about factory farms themselves since I think we can all agree most are pretty terrible but whether you think these accusations are real or fair or staged or what. But supposedly the brothers that own it have also been arrested before (for other stuff)/have unrelated charges so maybe their organization really is shady. Idk.

Btw I really need to hatch one of these days. Also stupid question but do you think a roo would be much louder than my sometimes obnoxiously loud hens? Ha

Anyone hear about the New England egg farm? Supposedly it's under investigation but to me it looks like, sadly, normal factory farm conditions.. but supposedly there were dead birds and some other accusations I forget but the humane society filmed the video and they're a big scam and supposedly the guy only worked there a month and was fired cause he didn't follow policy (he was undercover and supposedly their policy is to remove carcasses within 24 hours. I buy it, he probably left them for the purposes of staging the video). It's the biggest egg organization in New England. This isn't about factory farms themselves since I think we can all agree most are pretty terrible but whether you think these accusations are real or fair or staged or what. But supposedly the brothers that own it have also been arrested before (for other stuff)/have unrelated charges so maybe their organization really is shady. Idk.

Haven't heard about it yet but doesn't surprise me

Btw I really need to hatch one of these days. Also stupid question but do you think a roo would be much louder than my sometimes obnoxiously loud hens? Ha
yes roosters are louder

Haven't heard about it yet but doesn't surprise me
yes roosters are louder

Yeah, it was definitely weird. Saw parts of it on the news today.

Ah okay. I figured and haven't gotten one yet for that reason but then I was thinking, my girls can be VERY loud sometimes. I thought maybe it was their egg song and maybe it still is but sometimes the Australorps or EEs just start making a racket for no reason and it goes on a long time, sometimes I even close our windows, so I thought surely a roo couldn't possibly be that bad, but I'm sure they probably are

Yeah, it was definitely weird. Saw parts of it on the news today.

Ah okay. I figured and haven't gotten one yet for that reason but then I was thinking, my girls can be VERY loud sometimes. I thought maybe it was their egg song and maybe it still is but sometimes the Australorps or EEs just start making a racket for no reason and it goes on a long time, sometimes I even close our windows, so I thought surely a roo couldn't possibly be that bad, but I'm sure they probably are
my rooster and hens are all very noisy
my rooster talks all day long
luckily one of my neighbors has chickens and the other ones are never home

Back
Top Bottom