MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

morning sweetie!! Good luck with the babies!!

that is good news! 

:fl :weee

YAYA!!!!!!!  come on babies!!

Thanks dear! First chickie is out with six more pipped so far. I'm trying the strawberry containers for the first time. How many should I put in a box?

Just glad we're getting more chicks! :)

Wish they were your legbars though :) and other breeds! :)

Our May Hatchalong chicks will be two weeks old this weekend.

Princess Sofia caught Rosetta the Lavender Orpington rooster trying to escape. "She just wanted to see my gown, because it's LAVENDER!" :lau

We put a screen over their box and will be working on larger housing this weekend.

All snuggled on their perches like big kids :)

I think we have three Lavender Orpington roosters out of five chicks :( Does anyone have experience with this breed? Two have very prominent combs already and one has a small comb. Two have much more dainty heads and no combs.

Our May Hatchalong chicks will be two weeks old this weekend.

Princess Sofia caught Rosetta the Lavender Orpington rooster trying to escape. "She just wanted to see my gown, because it's LAVENDER!"
lau.gif

We put a screen over their box and will be working on larger housing this weekend.

love.gif
awww she's so precious!!!

I think we have three Lavender Orpington roosters out of five chicks
sad.png
Does anyone have experience with this breed? Two have very prominent combs already and one has a small comb. Two have much more dainty heads and no combs.
nope sorry!

Just discovered another neighbor has chickens. They were free ranging by some bushes next to the road haha couldn't get a good look since it's a road and I couldn't stop but looked like maybe a few Easter Eggers. Or at least one. Also a silver/laced one

I think we have three Lavender Orpington roosters out of five chicks
sad.png
Does anyone have experience with this breed? Two have very prominent combs already and one has a small comb. Two have much more dainty heads and no combs.
With single comb large fowl, it's too early to tell about the combs at 2 weeks old. Usually around 4-6 weeks, the cockerel's combs and wattles will begin growing and start turning red. Slow developers may take even longer to distinguish the difference between male and female. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your Lavender Orpingtons. They're quite beautiful birds...

With single comb large fowl, it's too early to tell about the combs at 2 weeks old. Usually around 4-6 weeks, the cockerel's combs and wattles will begin growing and start turning red. Slow developers may take even longer to distinguish the difference between male and female. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your Lavender Orpingtons. They're quite beautiful birds...

Thank you! They are very pretty. So, if two of them have quarter inch tall combs already, they might not be roosters? Or the ones I think are hens might be roosters too? Lol, I guess we'll just have to be patient, wait and see :) The one has a huge comb and serious attitude, so pretty convinced on that one.

Thank you! They are very pretty. So, if two of them have quarter inch tall combs already, they might not be roosters? Or the ones I think are hens might be roosters too? Lol, I guess we'll just have to be patient, wait and see :) The one has a huge comb and serious attitude, so pretty convinced on that one.

Anything is still possible at that age. My RIR hen that I hatched had the largest comb and biggest attitude as a chick, but then after the first month it grew slower than the others and she quieten down as she got older.

Anything is still possible at that age. My RIR hen that I hatched had the largest comb and biggest attitude as a chick, but then after the first month it grew slower than the others and she quieten down as she got older.

That's really good to know. I will be more patient. It's very warm here today so we're taking them outside for the first time this afternoon. Excited to see their colors in the natural light, especially the blue barred and the Lavenders :)

That's really good to know. I will be more patient. It's very warm here today so we're taking them outside for the first time this afternoon. Excited to see their colors in the natural light, especially the blue barred and the Lavenders :)

How exciting for outside adventures! I just came back inside from letting my littles have their first short run outside of the grow out pen.

Try to take pictures of their pretty colors, please? :)

Back
Top Bottom