MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I can't find a June hatch thread. So I'll talk about them here.

I have 4 eggs due to hatch tomorrow under a broody hen that djwaldon sent me for her. She sent me 9 but the rest didn't make it this long. My hen has been patiently waiting for her babies to hatch. We finished her pen. She's in a dog kennel that we put a cover on and wrapped the bottom with wire mesh so they can't get out away from their momma.

Does anybody know a home remedy to get rid of slugs or to at least keep them out of the feed and water? I tried pouring salt all around the feeder and under it but that didn't keep them out.

Last edited:
I can't find a June hatch thread. So I'll talk about them here.

I have 4 eggs due to hatch tomorrow under a broody hen that djwaldon sent me for her. She sent me 9 but the rest didn't make it this long. My hen has been patiently waiting for her babies to hatch. We finished her pen. She's in a dog kennel that we put a cover on and wrapped the bottom with wire mesh so they can't get out away from their momma.

Does anybody know a home remedy to get rid of slugs or to at least keep them out of the feed and water? I tried pouring salt all around the feeder and under it but that didn't keep them out.
beer in sunken plastic cups under the plants

gig.gif
does it make sense to you?? Maybe sally had too many beers before she posted this??

It just seems like the slugs would just go past the cups and get on the plant anyway. I'm probably seeing it in my head wrong though.

If you take a small container like a tuna tin, fill it with beer, and set it on the ground. The slugs will be attracted to the beer, go for a sip, fall in and drown. Don't submerge the top of the tin even with the soil level or you might also kill ground beetles which eat slugs. Keep rims at least 1″ above soil level.

sugar + baking yeast was as effective as some beers, but not as effective as Budweiser, but beer is a staple so drink the beer and use the sugar and yeast
lau.gif

Vinegar is a good ingredient for slug spray

Soapy Water

When collecting slugs by hand, it’s surprising how quickly the little bugg critters escape from their container while you’re busy searching for more. One solution is to dunk them into a bucket of soapy water. It doesn’t kill them but it does prevent them slithering back up the sides.
A smear of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) serves the same purpose.
Squishing

I’m a squeamish wimp so I don’t favour this method, but many people do. A heavy boot, couple of bricks, the possibilities are endless. Keep out of the firing line; it’s surprising how far splattered slug can travel!
Steel Wool

Try standing your pots and containers on steel wool. Slugs don’t like crawling over it.
Stone

A flat slightly raised stone or piece of paving slab makes a cool dark daytime slug shelter. Lift it during the day and dispose of any slugs found hiding beneath.
Thorny Prunings

Thorny or prickly prunings can be scattered around vulnerable plants to deter slugs. They stop cats scratching up your garden too... Ooch Ouch!
Toilet

Having been out in your garden eagerly scooping up slugs, you’ll need somewhere to dispose of your grimy haul. How about feeding the birds at the sea-side!
Tongs

An old pair of sugar or tea-bag tongs makes a handy slug lifting device for those of you who detest gooey fingers. But please please do not return them to the kitchen drawer afterwards!
Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly)

Smear a 5cm (2”) band all the way round the rim of your containers. The slug’s grip will be broken and it won’t be able to reach your plants. Be aware that this can make containers more difficult to handle.
Watering

Although evening watering is often recommended to avoid evaporation, this leaves the ground nice and wet for slugs that are more active at night. It’s better to water your plants in the early morning; it’s cool enough for the water to absorb into the soil, while allowing the surface to dry out during the course of the day so it won’t harbour nocturnal slugs.
Wood or Board

An old piece of board strategically placed can add rustic charm to the garden and provide daytime slug shelter. Raise it slightly or fix a couple of small battens to the underside to allow the slug to slither underneath. Turn it during the day and dispose of any slugs you find.
Wooden Plank

Use an old wooden plank to provide a daytime slug shelter. Placed between rows of plants, it doubles as a handy walkway. Check underneath periodically and remove any slugs you find. Or you could simply jump up and down on it a few times!
Nemaslug – nematode slug killer

Nemaslug – Slug Killer
The environmentally friendly alternative to traditional slug pellets; Nemaslug is the perfect choice for the ecological gardener who hates using chemicals and poisons in the garden. In fact, the nematodes are already present in smaller numbers in most soils, so you aren’t introducing anything new into your garden.
Simply mix the nematodes with water and apply to the soil – job done. Up to two month's protection from a single treatment.
Don’t let slugs spoil your garden this year!
Nemaslug slug killer

If you take a small container like a tuna tin, fill it with beer, and set it on the ground. The slugs will be attracted to the beer, go for a sip, fall in and drown. Don't submerge the top of the tin even with the soil level or you might also kill ground beetles which eat slugs. Keep rims at least 1″ above soil level.

sugar + baking yeast was as effective as some beers, but not as effective as Budweiser, but beer is a staple so drink the beer and use the sugar and yeast
lau.gif
Alcohol abuse has always been my first thought to this remedy. I am glad that you agree that Budweiser is for drinking, not wasting! Like coffee on a wound. It ain't happening!

Back
Top Bottom