Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I need a pond for that! I may as well fling money to the wind!
smile.png
That or perhaps you build a straw bale pool for your ducks.

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/build-your-own-swimming-pool-from-bales-of-hay/

Hello everyone! From south east Michigan here, Monroe county. I've been searching for non Pekin ducklings in the area with very little luck. Am waiting on two Ancona ducklings to be hatched but would love a couple other breeds to add to the group. Any insight appreciated!

Good Morning from Harbor Springs. We are re-starting the chicken parenting thing, currently we have 19 chicks in the brooder (2 very large boxes joined together) and 6 ducklings who are growing like weeds.

I lived in Michigan for a while before then moved to Alaska for a job opportunity where I met my wonderful husband who just happened to be busy brooding a dozen sex link RIR. The girls gave us lots of eggs and also fun, we lost a few to hawks, our favourite was a hen called Dinner who had lost her tail feathers and had been taken 'home' by a neighbours dog more than once, no matter how we secured the coop and fencing she would find her way out and meet us at the door stoop when we returned from work.
Moved back to Michigan 3 years ago and this year we have just gotten around to being owned by chickens, I ordered 6 RIR, 6 speckled sussex 2 polish and 3 cochins (2 pullets one Roo) from McMurrays, The box got rerouted so 4 days later we ended up with 2 dead polish and lost one RIR. They were also nice enough *cough* to pad the box out with 6 leghorns who all turned out to be Roos, they will be going to live next door, hubby has done the leghorn thing before and wasn't impressed that time either.

Ducks are a new thing for us, what can I say ?? TSC had adorable chicks I just couldn't help myself. We have no idea who is a duck and whos a drake so we call them The Crazy Gang and I guess we will find out soon !

Good Morning from Harbor Springs. We are re-starting the chicken parenting thing, currently we have 19 chicks in the brooder (2 very large boxes joined together) and 6 ducklings who are growing like weeds.

I lived in Michigan for a while before then moved to Alaska for a job opportunity where I met my wonderful husband who just happened to be busy brooding a dozen sex link RIR. The girls gave us lots of eggs and also fun, we lost a few to hawks, our favourite was a hen called Dinner who had lost her tail feathers and had been taken 'home' by a neighbours dog more than once, no matter how we secured the coop and fencing she would find her way out and meet us at the door stoop when we returned from work.
Moved back to Michigan 3 years ago and this year we have just gotten around to being owned by chickens, I ordered 6 RIR, 6 speckled sussex 2 polish and 3 cochins (2 pullets one Roo) from McMurrays, The box got rerouted so 4 days later we ended up with 2 dead polish and lost one RIR. They were also nice enough *cough* to pad the box out with 6 leghorns who all turned out to be Roos, they will be going to live next door, hubby has done the leghorn thing before and wasn't impressed that time either.

Ducks are a new thing for us, what can I say ?? TSC had adorable chicks I just couldn't help myself. We have no idea who is a duck and whos a drake so we call them The Crazy Gang and I guess we will find out soon !
Good morning from Twin Lake. I worked in Alaska in the late 70's - Kodiak and the Bering Sea. Loved it. Anyway, welcome aboard and check out the Chickenstock thread for our group.

Hello everyone! From south east Michigan here, Monroe county. I've been searching for non Pekin ducklings in the area with very little luck. Am waiting on two Ancona ducklings to be hatched but would love a couple other breeds to add to the group. Any insight appreciated!
Welcome AmandaMae! We have 11 Ancona's in our incubator due to hatch May 8th. We are not going to keep any other breeds right now. I have three egg customers requesting duck eggs so I had to get some ducks. I will be selling off the extras when I can tell what sex they are. But, you already have some Ancona's
thumbsup.gif

You guys are a bad influence lol. I was looking at African Geese yesterday. Just looking.
X2! We agree. Love the people here and love the multitudes of very cool different fowl out there. Now I just need a nice pond and about 40 more acres
love.gif

Hello Peekin In! Can't wait to hear more about your ducks. We just got a dozen Ancona's but I only want to keep one drake and um....how many girls does one drake need? Of course out of 11 eggs, we should only hope we get some girls otherwise we will have some nice duck in the freezer in the future...
LOVE the "Dinner" story
lol.png
We have a non bearded EE named Goggles that always gets out of the run!

Happy Beltane. I noticed as I turned the calendar that my chicks are on week 9. The little BOs have been out in the coop with the big girls for a month now. Time sure flies and I am glad this week is past. It was a bad one. But chickens help improve one's mood.

Welcome new folks to our thread.

Back
Top Bottom