Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I don't consider myself a mushroom hunter (too chicken to try most wild mushrooms) but I don't pass up known species when I come across them - like hen-of-the-woods. Froze 6 gallon ziplock bags of it last fall from one mushroom. Haven't bought mushrooms since. Never tried giving any to the chickens save for what might be cooked into some scraps.

Remember this whopper I found?

Last edited:
Is there alot of mushroom hunters on this forum..i love mushroom hunting.. i hunt several kinds.
I cant wait for it to warm up a little more to go morel hunting.
I would love to hunt mushrooms but have no clue what I'm looking for, what is poisonous and what is edible, and every time I try to find info I come up short. :(

I would love to hunt mushrooms but have no clue what I'm looking for, what is poisonous and what is edible, and every time I try to find info I come up short. :(

I feel the same, I'm paranoid about eating something toxic. The only thing I ever hunt is morels. Breaded and fried with a little bacon... Mmm

My family lives on six acres of wooded property with state land on three sides and one of the biggest
problems we have is people coming onto our property looking for mushroom. One year my dad had to have a no tresspasing sign everyother tree. But we love to go mushroom hunting :)

snowflake i agree, there is to many nice roos that i could make room for then to put up with a crazy one.. the meaner the roo, the tastier the stew or should i say slow roasted grilled chicken..
droolin.gif
I am setting eggs in the bator anyday.. so i am hoping for a nice roo.. or atleast leaves the door open to get one that i really want. the bunnies are so adorable Is there alot of mushroom hunters on this forum..i love mushroom hunting.. i hunt several kinds. I cant wait for it to warm up a little more to go morel hunting.
We hunt Chaga and make tea. Tasty stuff and lots of health benefits.

I don't consider myself a mushroom hunter (too chicken to try most wild mushrooms) but I don't pass up known species when I come across them - like hen-of-the-woods. Froze 6 gallon ziplock bags of it last fall from one mushroom. Haven't bought mushrooms since. Never tried giving any to the chickens save for what might be cooked into some scraps.

Remember this whopper I found?
that is a nice hen of the woods.. now that is one i am yet to find.. i would love to see one in the woods.. the medicinal properties to that mushroom is amazing..
there is alot of mushrooms with so many health benefits.. but this is one that tops the cake. great find.
droolin.gif

Happy rainy Monday, We don't have the interwebs at home so trying to get caught up on all the weekend activities on here.

Tomorrow is the day my 6 new Silkies arrive. I will post pics ASAP.

Those mushroom pics have me cuirous now. We usually only go after morrels, but now I want to start figuring out what other kinds of wild mushrooms are safe to eat :)

I use to hunt and collect only the morels...but since I had a puff ball mushroom, they have become my favorite. The great thing about the puff ball is that I have several that come up in the front and backyard both. (so I really don't have to hunt for them) Chop, sauté and then freeze them for year round use. I also like to slice, batter and deep fry them.
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom