Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

caf.gif
Good Morning everyone. All local schools are closed due to the ice and snow. And it's still snowing! Ladies are staying in the coop today.

Raz sorry to hear your results but not surprising unfortunately, where does that leave you and your flock?

I HATE SNOW!! It was my mantra as I shoveled this morning, about the only thing keeping me from throwing a hissy fit as I waded to the coop. I ended up with a coop full, I had opened up the east eaves for more ventilation and that's where the wind came from. I could really go for some of that global warming that gets talked about.

The chickens are all antsy now. I had no big fights all winter but now all of them are irritable. No one wants to be back stuck in the coop again after they had just been outside for a few days.

My baby Cochins are developing very slowly. Two weeks old and only have part of their wing feathers in. The good thing is they aren't in need of a bigger brooder yet. Usually they get moved at two weeks for more space.

WOW! One of our birds is definitely a keeper!! This egg weighs in at 3.2oz or 93 grams! Average size egg for Isa Browns - one of the brown egg layer leaders - is only 62.8. Do they have JUMBO jumbo egg cartons anywhere?? We can't get this one to fit in any of ours!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the negative verdict Raz. Is there more you can do? Bare cement is very hard on anything standing or landing on it, aside from the fact that unless a moisture shield is in place, it will draw moisture. Dam coon got in and wiped out my baby cochins, makes me sick. Anyone who questions a coons ability/strength, Scooter moved a full 2 drawer file cabinet off a 2" x 12" in floor duct to get to the babies.

WOW! One of our birds is definitely a keeper!! This egg weighs in at 3.2oz or 93 grams! Average size egg for Isa Browns - one of the brown egg layer leaders - is only 62.8. Do they have JUMBO jumbo egg cartons anywhere?? We can't get this one to fit in any of ours!
i get a huge egg also.. and i put it in a styrofoam has fits in it a little better, cant close all the way, but doesnt stress the egg so much.

I have no will power. I have no will power. I totally blame it on my dh as he just HAD to send me pics of baby chicks at the farm and home store. So I went to "look" and came home with 3 more. 2 slw and 1 bb. Is there some sort of chickens anonymous??? Hello my name is Lisa and I have a adorable baby chick addiction.

What Breed are you looking for?

Try Craigs list, people are always advertising on there for adult birds.
Really not sure what kind of birds yet. we are just starting out and wanted eggs for the kids. The kids were saying polish and another kind because they look cool. We have to do some looking into the diffrent breeds. Any suggestions? I been watching Craigs list but I did not want to drive over a hour if possible

I have 12 dozen eggs in the fridge if anyone wants eggs... Only maybe this isn't the best place to advertise such things.
he.gif

Dang this weather! I keep going outside in hopes of getting something done only to be chased back in by the cold wind and drizzle/mist/stuff. I was pretty sure when I saw the forecast this morning, 43° with a 40% chance of showers that it was going to be a nice day. Sad.

Sorry about your verdict Raz. Appeal until they shrivel! You're stronger and more determined.

Sorry about the cochin babies too, dang. I had a baby coon attempt a break-in last year and it did A LOT of damage for such a little thing. I worry constantly about putting my babies outside. They might to be in a tractor for a while and I'm already loosing sleep over it and still have a few week until they move out.

Speaking of babies: if anyone is interested in BO/EE mix cockerels... lol, they're free, 4 weeks old! I'm pretty sure they'll end up on the table but I have to try.

Just made some brownies. I had an "icky" dr. appt the other day and I was a little disappointed that the kids that come in for check-ups and vaccines get lollipops and women who give more than a couple of vials of blood iykwim get squat. If they just gave truffles or brownies... So I made some brownies so that I won't be discouraged from visiting the dr. next time.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My understanding on Mareks... AND I am by no means certain if I understood right... BUT going to give it a go...

1) Chicks need to be vaccinated with in 36 hours of hatch.
2) those need to be kept separate from other birds until 20 weeks (I could be wrong on that later number, but I thought that's what I read)
3) there is no real guarantee that the vaccine will work if they come into contact with Mareks through shed from other birds, but they have a greater chance of NOT getting/dying from it if they do. But its a 90%+ chance that they'll remain mareks symptoms free, though, if they come in contact with mareks, they'll shed it, but not die from it.

Here is some info on pathogenesis, transmission, and clinical signs.

Pathogenesis: There are four phases of infection: 1) degenerative changes caused by early productive-restrictive virus infection, 2) latent infection, 3) another phase of cytolytic infection associated with permanent immunosuppression, and 4) nonproductive infected lymphoid cells that may or may not progress to lymphoma formation, a "proliferative" phase. The route of infection is inhalation. The virus then replicates in the lungs (in non-lymphoid cells). An acute phase of the disease can be seen within 72-96 hours where the lymphoid system, primarily bursa and thymus, undergoes cytolytic changes. Infected birds normally recover from the acute phase of the infection after 6-7 days and become latent. Infected lymphocytes carry the virus throughout the body, causing cell-associated viremia. Eventually, virus will be shed in the environment via feather debris and dander after the secondary cytolytic infection occurs in the feather follicle epithelium (~2 weeks post infection).
Transmission: MDV can be transmitted by direct and indirect contact between birds. Transmission is primarily by airborne route as the virus is shed in epithelial cells of the feather follicle, dander, chicken house dust, feces and saliva. The virus has a long survival time in dander since viable virus has been isolated from houses that have been depopulated for many months. (Historically, prior to vaccine availability, control in broilers was based upon early brooding exposure to used broiler litter and dander, marketing survivors versus poorer results with the thoroughly cleaned and disinfected brooder houses). Transmission by egg has no significance (i.e., chicken hatched and reared in isolation will be free of MDV.
Clinical signs: MD commonly affects pullets between 12-24 weeks of age, but can infect broilers as early as 6 weeks of age. The incubation period ranges from 3-4 weeks to several months. Signs may vary according to the nerve or nerves affected. Asymmetric progressive paralysis of one or more of the extremities can be seen. Wing involvement is characterized by drooping of the limb. Torticollis of nerves controlling the neck are affected. Vagal involvement will lead to dilatation of the crop and/or gasping. If the iris is involved, eyes will lose their ability to accommodate light intensity and blindness may occur (once called "grey eye"). Many birds die suddenly without symptoms. There are nonspecific signs such as weight loss, paleness, anorexia, and diarrhea.

source : Perdue University Spring Newsletter 2005

If I had not sent a bird for diagnosis after I had losses last summer that I just couldn't figure out, I would after reading this, assume that I had Mareks in the flock. Heck, a lot of people probably do have Mareks and not even know it because they don't have the classic "one leg forward, one leg backward" symptoms that most people associate with it. It is still a thought and a concern here. My hope though too, that with constant wild turkey crossings through my yard most of the year, that they've a resistance naturally. Some breeds are more naturally resistant to Mareks too. Some breeds, such as silkies are not as resistant to it from my understandings on it. Again, I don't claim to be right, AND I do not mind being corrected as long as you don't act like a jerk about it. Needless to say, if you are hatching in an incubator, or are getting birds for the first time, this might be something to consider, vaccinating. I know that the vaccine can be a bit on the pricey side for a small operation, but if you get a group of people to split the costs of vaccinating, do it. Otherwise, you do like a lot of the rest of us. You take your chances and let nature take its course. I may have thought or think differently about it if I were starting over from the beginning. But knowing also what bit I do now, it also changes how I will take cleaning matters in hand.

I do understand that activated Oxine will pretty much kill the virus and an other viruses when sprayed down in the coops after physical cleaning.

NOW on another note, my eggs arrived today.

This sign was taped to all four sides and the top. I was expecting it tomorrow. The mail lady was so nice about delivering it too. I was planning to pick it up tomorrow, but she said since I am very early in her route, and they were in, she'd bring them.

31 Phoenix, 4 white Yokos, 7 white jap bantams (wasn't expecting these) and 4 WC polish. Within the 31 Phoenix, there could also be some Ohikis.

I also got some succulents... Hens and chicks! LOL great little plant.

Back
Top Bottom